Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Gnollrunner

Recomendation for Graphics/Game engine design resource

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi again,  After some looking around I have decided to base my game directly on Direct X rather than using an existing game engine.  Because of the nature of the stuff I'm doing it just didn't seem to fit very well and I kept running into road blocks.  At this point I have a big blob of code for doing fractal world generation and some collision code,  and I'm trying to put it into some form that resembles a game engine.  Since I've never used one before It's a bit alien to me ..... so can someone direct me to a book, website, article, whatever... that covers this?  I'm mainly looking for stuff that covers C++ library design. I'm not adverse to using 3rd party tools for stuff I can used them for.

Edited by Gnollrunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

This not being a "Game Design" question, I'm moving it to another forum (per the sticky posts atop the game design forum). Please post only game design questions in the game design forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

I'm trying to put it into some form that resembles a game engine.  Since I've never used one before It's a bit alien to me ..... so can someone direct me to a book, website, article, whatever... that covers this?  I'm mainly looking for stuff that covers C++ library design. I'm not adverse to using 3rd party tools for stuff I can used them for.

A good starting point may be the Enginuity series by @superpig. It's a bit dated (2003) and better techniques have come out since it was written, but Richard did a good job highlighting the things a developer needs to think about.

This link is a search of all things Enginuity on GameDev.net: https://www.gamedev.net/search/?q=enginuity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

This not being a "Game Design" question, I'm moving it to another forum (per the sticky posts atop the game design forum). Please post only game design questions in the game design forum.

Sorry I think I got my terminology confused. I was thinking design of game software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

Sorry I think I got my terminology confused. I was thinking design of game software

I knew that! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!