I Know Nothing and I want to change that

Started by
43 comments, last by TheGreech 5 years, 10 months ago

I am an avid gamer. Always have been. I'm not artistic. And have tried to be. I want to be part of the gaming industry as a programmer. I have tried reading articles and forums but it lacks the breakdown that I need. I want to know everything. I am very technical and this would be the first time I would be learning a coding language. I want to learn coding for game design. I am looking for a mentor someone who doesn't mind if I ask a shit ton of stupid questions. I know nothing and am not afraid to admit that. However I want to know everything. I have registered for college but I want to get a jump on things. If anyone would mentor me I would be eternally grateful! Thanks everyone?

Advertisement
1 minute ago, Halpmelurngewd said:

I am an avid gamer. Always have been. I'm not artistic. And have tried to be. I want to be part of the gaming industry as a programmer. I have tried reading articles and forums but it lacks the breakdown that I need. I want to know everything. I am very technical and this would be the first time I would be learning a coding language. I want to learn coding for game design. I am looking for a mentor someone who doesn't mind if I ask a shit ton of stupid questions. I know nothing and am not afraid to admit that. However I want to know everything. I have registered for college but I want to get a jump on things. If anyone would mentor me I would be eternally grateful! Thanks everyone?

My answer might not be as helpful because the fact is you wont be able to learn "everything" before college, in college, and in your career. There is no substitute for time and putting in the hard work to become good at your chosen craft. Just get into college and learn as much as you can because either way you're going to have to adapt to the ever changing world of IT.

If you have specific questions just post them here. I'm sure other people new to programming will appreciate the responses and insight from the community.

Programmer and 3D Artist

2 minutes ago, Rutin said:

My answer might not be as helpful because the fact is you wont be able to learn "everything" before college, in college, and in your career. There is no substitute for time and putting in the hard work to become good at your chosen craft. Just get into college and learn as much as you can because either way you're going to have to adapt to the ever changing world of IT.

If you have specific questions just post them here. I'm sure other people new to programming will appreciate the responses and insight from the community.

Thanks. Are there any books you could recommend. That teach from scratch. Also, I'm learning because I want to build a game. I want to make a game using unity 3D not 2D. What language would you recommend?

I don't think anyone has the time to mentor someone for free.

However I have no doubt that if you post questions on this website about programming and game development you will get tons of help that way. Just remember it can take some time, but beginner questions get answered quickly.

When asking a question you think is obvious to others just remind everyone that you are a beginner; that way people will be friendlier.

34 minutes ago, Halpmelurngewd said:

I want to make a game using unity 3D not 2D. What language would you recommend?

C# these are good tutorials: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp/index.htm

It has a good overview but it really starts teaching at "Data Types".

Just now, Scouting Ninja said:

I don't think anyone has the time to mentor someone for free.

However I have no doubt that if you post questions on this website about programming and game development you will get tons of help that way. Just remember it can take some time, but beginner questions get answered quickly.

When asking a question you think is obvious to others just remind everyone that you are a beginner; that way people will be friendlier.

C# these are good tutorials: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp/index.htm

It has a good overview but it really starts teaching at "Data Types".

Thanks for the quick responses. The issue that I have with coding is that a lot of tutorials start out assuming you know something about coding. ??? I however know nothing. When I start reading or listening I get lost easy and have no clue what they are talking about.

Just now, Halpmelurngewd said:

I get lost easy and have no clue what they are talking about.

OK. Then lets try this. Do you know the basic data types and what they are?

That is: Bool, Int, Float and String. Programming I think starts with these 4.

Just now, Scouting Ninja said:

OK. Then lets try this. Do you know the basic data types and what they are?

That is: Bool, Int, Float and String. Programming I think starts with these 4.

Honestly I do not. None of the CPP tutorials that I have read do not mention them

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp/csharp_data_types.htm

A Bool is binary; that is too say it is either True or False.

A Int is Integer numbers, that means -88  -9  0  12  16  18  99 etc. Numbers as we normally think of them.

A float is floating point numbers. That is 0.1  0.005  9.2  -0.5 etc. In short it is numbers that are fractions of intigers.

A string is words like "Hello world" it is called a string because it is made of char that is characters like "A" and "a".

Any questions yet? I will try to explain this while on break.

Then you should pick up something very simple to get the basics down. Either C#, JAVA, or a scripting language like Python or JavaScript. I'll leave others to help with that.

However for now check out these videos for the basics:

Programmer and 3D Artist

So basically if I were to use this in code it would look like this

Int A=6

Int B=7

Cout (sum a+b)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement