How to improve FLEE in RPG videogames ??

Started by
19 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 7 months ago

So im creating a RPG system, where you fight 1vs1. Every enemy is different and have a different personality. I want to implement a flee option if you dont want to fight him, but I need some advice for what will be better:

Option no. 1: Flee will be purely random and something like escale from fight.  if you are higher level, there is higher chance for succesful flee, and if you are lover level, you have a smaller chance for flee.

Option no. 2: Flee will be something like you giving up a fight and enemy wiil decide if he lets you flee. For example, if enemy is evil, you wont be able to flee, but if you are fighting a good guy, he will let you flee.

Option no. 3: It wont be flee, but the button will change depending on yours and enemies level. If you are small level. the button will be "give up(flee)", but if you are a high level the button will be "walk away".

In my game, if enemy HP is under some point (will to fight), he will give up, and you have option to keep fighting, or spare, or steal him.

What will be better, should FLEE be run from fight, or like give up, or option no. 3 ??. With option no. 3, I dont know what would be the middle ground, if you are both the same (or similiar) level. 

Hello, Im DasunSet.

Advertisement

Option 3 and 1 seems the same but with different wordings. Those would be the most straightforward. I like option 2, but does it make sense in your game? It would if your game has an ethic mechanic like mass effect series which makes you bad or good depending on your actions (or Baldurs Gate which is THE ethics RPG).

could give npc's a chase factor. multiply it vs  whatever other rng factors you have going for escape chance. so if chase factor is .8 then it's .8 * x, if value > (some number) flee successfully, else forfeit a second's worth of time and take damage. 
A wolf/hellhound would have a high chase factor, a plant-eating mob or a fat cyclops would likely have a low one.

19 minutes ago, Michael Aganier said:

Option 3 and 1 seems the same but with different wordings. Those would be the most straightforward. I like option 2, but does it make sense in your game? It would if your game has an ethic mechanic like mass effect series which makes you bad or good depending on your actions (or Baldurs Gate which is THE ethics RPG).

My game is little bit like Undertale with its relationships with enemies. But in undertale, flee is just a run from fight. I know it would make an interresing game mechanic no.2 but I also want people to play, and try to use flee only if neccesary or fighting a weak reappearing mob.

Hello, Im DasunSet.

38 minutes ago, DasunSet said:

Option no. 3: It wont be flee, but the button will change depending on yours and enemies level. If you are small level. the button will be "give up(flee)", but if you are a high level the button will be "walk away".

This one, I really really like this one.

Think of it, battles is part of the game normally the player will choose to fight. Flee is something you only do when the enemy is so week it is not worth your time, or the enemy is so strong that you know fighting it will result in death.

In both of these situations having flee FAIL! is only frustrating, it literally has no other point than frustrating the player.

Think about it, a random roll on flee is pointless, players need to grind for bosses and so forth, even if they could flee every battle it would not be a cheat.

If you want a complicated system then use something like this: Boss= No escape..., Strong Enemy = Run away!, Normal Enemy = Try to flee, Weak Enemy = Walk Away.

That way you can still use the random roll but only on normal enemies.

10 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

could give npc's a chase factor. multiply it vs  whatever other rng factors you have going for escape chance. so if chase factor is .8 then it's .8 * x, if value > (some number) flee successfully, else forfeit a second's worth of time and take damage. 
A wolf/hellhound would have a high chase factor, a plant-eating mob or a fat cyclops would likely have a low one.

Well you are reading my mind, because your idea is the same I have right now implemented : D. I was wondering, if this is the right way to do it. So you think option no. 1 Should be the right one ??

Hello, Im DasunSet.

3 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

If you want a complicated system then use something like this: Boss= No escape..., Strong Enemy = Run away!, Normal Enemy = Try to flee, Weak Enemy = Walk Away.

Yeah, that sound great, It is like no. 1 and No. 3 combined.

Maybe if you are fighting strong oponent, there would be chance he wont let you go and the fight will end up as a lost fight and you will lose gold and XP. Yes in my game you can level down ur up : D 

Great idea and opinion, Thanks.

Hello, Im DasunSet.

Luv that u luv my idea. Warning though: don't use pure RNG, use a fake RNG. Pure random numbers = player thinks computer is f*ing with them. So cater to the player a bit, one way or another. Maybe have a higher % flee chance on second attempt or something, or a 100% success rate vs lower leveled creatures so long as your hp is >80% and you're not suffering status condition.
Also worth noting: you can throw a whole lot of if/elses into this or whatever else you want without slowing the game engine down since it's something that happens rarely and on player command. Don't know exactly what you're dealing with engine and performance wise but it's not something you're likely going to have to over-optimise to feel free to play with it a bit.

4 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

Luv that u luv my idea. Warning though: don't use pure RNG, use a fake RNG. Pure random numbers = player thinks computer is f*ing with them. So cater to the player a bit, one way or another. Maybe have a higher % flee chance on second attempt or something, or a 100% success rate vs lower leveled creatures so long as your hp is >80% and you're not suffering status condition.
Also worth noting: you can throw a whole lot of if/elses into this or whatever else you want without slowing the game engine down since it's something that happens rarely and on player command. Don't know exactly what you're dealing with engine and performance wise but it's not something you're likely going to have to over-optimise to feel free to play with it a bit.

As Scouting Ninja wrote:

28 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

This one, I really really like this one.

Think of it, battles is part of the game normally the player will choose to fight. Flee is something you only do when the enemy is so week it is not worth your time, or the enemy is so strong that you know fighting it will result in death.

In both of these situations having flee FAIL! is only frustrating, it literally has no other point than frustrating the player.

Think about it, a random roll on flee is pointless, players need to grind for bosses and so forth, even if they could flee every battle it would not be a cheat.

I think RNG I wil luse RNG only if enemy is the same or one level higher or lower. There are alot of factors. your relationship with this enemy, enemies character, your level, how you act in the fight. You can attack him or talk with him. But it would be really complicated, so many variables to check. RNG sounds about right if enemy is the same or one level away.

Hello, Im DasunSet.

If you were to something like choose #1, I would suggest making your chance of success relative to your enemy's level. Compare your character's level to the enemies you're fighting. The difference between your lvl and theirs would weight the roll to successfully flee. That way, the design scales over the course of the game.

Your enemies could have additional traits/status effects which could further weight the roll. For example, a flying enemy with super-speed may be harder to flee from.

Sounds like this is similar to some of what's already been proposed. GL with the system. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement