im lost and confused but eager to learn

Started by
2 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 5 years, 10 months ago

oh boy howdy howdy

i know little to nothing about game design and programming but i am a seasoned artist and am a huge gamer always have been

i recently got a very small taste of the industry if you can even call it that from the last UE4 game jam i helped with voice acting concept art writing and vector art

i absolutely loved it and am already itching to learn and do more but??? i have no idea how to go about it

the person i was working with during the game jam is years ahead of me and is already looking into getting me into some contract work and teaching me 3d modeling/painting/sculpting but at the moment hes currently busy with making a game for RTX!

while hes busy i thought id delve into some forums and get my feet wet 

any info or tips on how or where to get started would be amazing thanks!

Advertisement

Considering your're already an artist you can give Game Maker Studio a try. It has drag and drop, but also has its own language: GML.

Even though you've worked on a project that was made using UE4, it's not something a beginner will touch due to the C++ requirement, unless you're able to learn Blue Prints well enough.

Otherwise pick up C# and learn Unity. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

4 hours ago, vvvvv said:

i absolutely loved it and am already itching to learn and do more but??? i have no idea how to go about it

The question is it Unreal or game development that inspired the love. Unreal has FANTASTIC! tools for artist, no other engine can match it.

If it was some kind of gizmo or fancy tool that got your interest then I am really sad to say you will not find a match elsewhere. Like @Rutinpointed out Unreal isn't easy on new developers, so if you want the tools you have to suffer for it.

You can start here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Videos Since it is slow going you should probably start with the tools that interest you.

If it was game development in general that interests you a engine like GameMaker Or Unity is better to start with. Unreal is realy-realy complex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement