game architecture, AI designs

Started by
7 comments, last by Alberth 5 years, 10 months ago

Hello, i am trying to write a game architecture.

I have the script and story planned, scene by scenes, moments by moments.  The game age and replayabilty has also  been planned...

However i lack the skill of building the AI and how it should operate against the players(wandering around for strategic positions), random number generations for attacks and combos,
multiplayer features(between mobile devices or within servers), and simple things like realistic fx fire or thunder generations, screen noises and distortions... i am using Openspace 3d.

Can i get some pointers on how to do each of these? 

The game i want to make is like digimon world PS1, xenogears, ff7... those games has all the things i want to show as the aboves.

Advertisement

I'm going to move this over to the beginners forum because it's not strictly about writing for games (which is about the narrative aspects).

One follow-up question: when you say "writing a game architecture" do you mean writing the design for the game? Who is the intended audience?

thank you.

game architecture... not just the design.
the architecture would include the structure of the mechanics, graphical qualities, timing of the events, and overal designs in either visuals,
gameplay, or various features.

The architecture, as i wrote above, includes the how things are done mechanically.

I suppose it is more to the engineering side of the engine, which i have not practiced enough so i require some assistance
or guidance, to build an architecture where i can simply put the assets and animations to form the story and have it ship.

Just so you know, "architecture" in game development usually refers to the general structure of the code - and that is generally not something that a non-technical person would be writing about.

However it's certainly appropriate for you to write about the game mechanics and things related to that.

You might benefit from looking into how other people have written their game design documents: http://karlkapp.com/examples-and-samples-of-game-design/

You also need to understand your own limitations - it's not possible for someone with minimal industry experience to quickly learn enough about all areas of game development to be able to write a comprehensive design document that covers details on AI operation, networked multiplayer, and graphics rendering, as well as all the design aspects. You probably need to focus on writing a high level overview, perhaps using other games as reference points, and leave the more technical details to experts who you would ideally bring on to the project later.

good, high level overview first.

i understand that much. As the general designer, the whole game script is ready with the story, with other games as reference for the game's quality.

from there, how do i go into low level designs of the game?
how do i get  exactly every aspect of the game, from visuals to mechanics, to the best possible bar of the game?

how do i iterate the high level documents into low level structures of the codes and mechanics?

The flippant answer is, "you spend years learning enough about game design and programming and art to be able to do this".

The realistic answer is a mixture of the following:

• you don't write down all the low level details - they will change as you go along anyway
  • you recruit people to write individual feature specifications based on your high level plans
  • you read about professional game development to learn why they don't make games by having 1 person write down the whole thing in excruciating detail

It's important for you to make clear what your end goal is. The type of documents you need to produce depend heavily on who is expected to read them and for what purpose.

okay nevermind. i guess regardless of how i wrote what i need, everyone will force you to learn rather than solving your problem in exact details.

goodbye

The problem is that "low level design" is a lot, and it rests on deep understanding of the techniques and possibilities that exist in the implementation.

To give an example, say you made a high level design of a house. Drawing looks great, you designed where what rooms it has, and where the windows are. How nice!

Now to actually build the house, you need to have a lot more. Structural integrity of the house, plumbing, electricity, heating, ventilation, isolation, stairs (safety!), roof, rain water handling, to name a few. Each of these things has technical limits and there are regulations for them, which you have to take into account. To do that properly, you need to understand that world and the rules that you have to follow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement