[CARSIM] Simulating temperatures and related fancy stuffs

Started by
0 comments, last by bmarci 5 years, 10 months ago

Hi guys,
Nowdays I have some spare time again to spend on my ever-lasting hobby simulation.
Most of the dynamics are working fine, so I'm into adding some fancy stuff.
And unfortunatelly these are more hard to find than decent tire parameters :)

So they would be:
1. Tire temperature and all related like grip and wear
2. Brake temperature and efficiency
3. Fuel consumption

I'd like to solve them in a simple way without getting involved with too much thermo-dynamics and I also don't want to simulate chemical/physical reactions between materials :)
So more approximation than precise simulation.
My ideas so far on details;

1. I already found some unofficial "measurement" data somwehere about temperature and grip factor, for both road and slick tires.
The graph made it obvious that it's not a linear thing, the best solution I can imagine for this is to hand-draw a curve for temperature vs grip.
According to rumors this method is used in some professional F1 games too :)

The more difficult part of this is how to calculate the actual temperature.
The only things I can think of are slip angle and slip ratio, or Fx and Fy. The Forces seem to be more reasonable because they account for tire load too.
Also I'm sure the speed plays a very important role here, because not only the friction but also the rate of compression and decompression of the rubber make it heat up too.
And then the temperature of the surrounding, ground and air ?!

Also the wear can be a bit tricky, does it depend on heat and/or friction, I can only think of a hand-drawn graph again.

2. This can be a simple friction model, or as I read in a paper the brakes "absorb" the kinetic energy of the car when braking so that could also be converted to heat.
So that can be an other approach, then again, the car can lose kinetic energy in many ways so it's hard to tell how much came from the brakes and how much from air resistance, tire friction or even colision.
And again, a nice hand-drawn graph could help with break efficiency.

3. This one is also a good question. The increase of kinetic energy can be a good starting point, so knowing how much work was needed to accelerate the car to a certain speed is a good start.
But what is the scenario when idle-ing in the parking lot, or just coasting.
Or can it be calculated from the throttle position only? Since it controls how much petrol is going to the engine anyway, and adding the bias-throttle used to maintain the idle RPM.

So, if any of you have idea, or experience to share, I'd be more than pleased. Any suggestion is welcome :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement