Linux IDEs for C++

Started by
5 comments, last by georger.araujo 5 years, 10 months ago

I recently switched to Ubuntu LTS 18.04 and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good IDEs for C++?

Advertisement

That sounded like a question that had come up before, so searched it, and ran into

While I use the desktop itself as IDE (bunch of open vim editors, and a terminal or two), some colleagues like 'sublime'. It's not in the discussion I linked above.

Netbeans C++ is probably the most fleshed out one. Though on linux, you don't need an IDE because the OS itself is an IDE. You just need to learn the proper tools as @Alberth mentionned.

2 minutes ago, Michael Aganier said:

Netbeans C++ is probably the most fleshed out one. Though on linux, you don't need an IDE because the OS itself is an IDE. You just need to learn the proper tools as @Alberth mentionned.

I didn't know that. Is there a tutorial  online somewhere?

"Linux commandline tools" would probably give you starting points, although most hardly scratch the surface or confuse the (bash) shell with tools. There used to be a O'Reilly book "Powertools" that looked useful (except I already knew all the tools it mentioned).

I would recommend installing the man-pages, it's an online reference for the various commands, accessed by the "man" command. The man-page about man is "man", ie type "man man" at the console to get help about the man command. All the standard unix commands are documented, eg "man bash" for the manual about the Bash shell. Man-page references are usually written like "bash(1)", which means "man bash in section 1" (the user commands), entered at the console as "man 1 bash". Usually you don't need the section number, except in rare occasions, like write(1) vs write(2) vs write(3) ?  (write user program, vs write kernel call, vs write C library call).

Gnu core utilities manual seems nice too:

https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/

Edit: Since you're using a lot of GNU software, that site has more documentation you may read at some point.

I think that's enough for now :)

5 hours ago, RidiculousName said:

I recently switched to Ubuntu LTS 18.04 and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good IDEs for C++?

Qt Creator.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement