What are B-Spline Transformations? How do I achieve them?

Started by
5 comments, last by lucky6969b 5 years, 10 months ago

I would like to build a S-shaped mesh, pretty much like a B-Spline, then perhaps creating a lattice on it? I think I should start off with a box, when the upper vertices get transformed into a B-Spline shape, the u,v stays the same..

any ideas?

thanks

Jack

Advertisement

It would be easier to move a transform along the spline, which holds a rectangle (or whatever cross shape you want).

You move in discrete steps, make copies of the rectangle vertices and connect them with edges and quad polygons to the previous position. UVs can be generated procedurally.

The main problem is to find the orientation of the transform, because a spline has only a tangent but no bi-tangent. In your case you can use a simple up-vector in the plane of the spline.

Actually, should I move the uvw's around, or should I manipulate the lattices directly? which way is better? if I don't want the plumb rendered as a cube?

thanks

Jack

I want to write some similar code anyways for procedural racing tracks, i'll post it later...

I made this new post: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/697215-extruding-a-shape-along-a-spline/

But i'm not sure now if this is really what you mean - it's extruding a spline (Bezier) with a shape. B-Spline Transformation might mean something different.

Thanks, Joe. That helps a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement