• Advertisement
WillderBeezy

FFX Rescore and Sin based CGI mash up

This is a rescore of several Sin scenes from Final Fantasy X, put into an epic cinematic with accompanying, original soundtrack!

Advertisement

There's a lot happening here and I think one of the things that would really help your music improve is to have defined themes that are "humable." Likewise to have a set progression so your chord progressions and harmonies make more sense. There are times to have themes which are chaotic and all over the place and there are other times when having a approachable theme makes more sense. This theme can still be super intense and action oriented, it just has a more simplified message to it. This kind of ratio (between chaos and structure) is super important when creating music because if it's too chaotic, the human ear and brain quickly dismiss it. Players will quickly dismiss it as "noise" or "can't figure it out" and they'll move on to something they can figure out. It's super important to remember, as video game composers, that we're creating music to accompany a story. And if the music gets too much in the way of that game or the player's experience, then we've not done our job well. 

When I listen to your music it has a feeling of being very disjointed. Harmonies are often clashing with little to not resolution between progressions. I like your passion and enthusiasm but I really think spending some time studying song structure, arrangement and theory would take your work to the next level! 

Thanks for sharing! 

Nate 

I felt that all of the structures on songs that I have learned inevitably rely on beating the gamer senseless. For example, Wall Market in FFVII has built it's way into my brain because when I played it through originally, I had no idea of guides....Video Games require "modular" construction, as far as audio engineering goes. What if no module was quite "exactly" the same. I will admit, song structure has been a...balance point. (I don't feel any of my songs are weak, except maybe Opus No. 3...)
   I find that a traditional sonata can be summed up in a certain measure of bars...I don't need 5 minutes to introduce a theme to a melody. However, I understand this doesn't form a "skeleton." Video games, inherently, evolve. The whole idea is to get to a better position than prior, even old stuff. Why isn't the Town music different every time you go in? The people are prone to different emotions....Different events happen, people get happy or sad...To even reflect the nature of a story line is to reflect the details. That song was written for the moments it captured. 
 Sin attacking anywhere was chaos...The attacks only increased in multiplier as they went, and I thought my song also reflected the chaotic nature of Sin....Maybe I'm just good for Chaotic Boss Battle themes?

I'm not saying you have to write in classical, traditional sonata form for the music to be good. I'm saying that your piece, as it is right now, is so chaotic and scattered all over the place that... to be completely blunt, most audio directors or clients wouldn't find it useful in their projects. But some might. I cannot (and don't) speak for everyone. :P Soundtracks can have frenzied, crazy sections but they often have more "straight forward" sections that help anchor the action and orient the listener/player/viewer. 

"Video Games require "modular" construction, as far as audio engineering goes." 

Yes they do and the real masters of VGM composition and implementation can make it sound like the music was written for each of the possible situations that arise in a game. Seamless, perfect transitions and changes to different cues. But we're getting off topic a bit here - because I'm not discussing your piece as it could possible be implemented with different tracks of music based on gameplay events. I'm just reviewing/analyzing this one piece. 

"Different events happen, people get happy or sad...To even reflect the nature of a story line is to reflect the details. That song was written for the moments it captured." 

Fair enough. It would certainly be chaotic when Sin attacked but, and this could be personal preference, but I didn't feel your piece reflected the visuals very well. And I think one of the main reasons is due to the writing and arrangement of your piece. It needs a decent amount of work, in my opinion. Just curious, have you gone and checked out what the original did then compared/contrasted that with your version? Again, I'm not trying to brow beat you. Just offering up some constructive criticism. I hope it helps. 

I love the criticism! I think you greatly fr your patience....Having played the game several times, no I still do not know each piece individually...  I have a better luck with FFVII... I do remember a lot of Risset builds and a lot of volume swells, sweeping arpeggios and such, but when you play through the game, the music makes an almost subliminal appearance...During these scenes, the focus was much more on the sound effects and voices....I tried to capture the FEELING of a kaiju attacking....Not just any Kaiju, but your father transformed into one...The very idea of a cycle like FFX's invites the chaotic nature, but I must admit I don't follow the "Chorus, verse, chorus..." forms like I should...I try to move the song steadily towards a heavy conclusion, and I'll admit I do that with more songs than I should....
   Have you checked my Soundcloud? Is there a song I have done that performs well to the axiomatic structure?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By ScarfaceShinji
      Right, so I know you must not run before you can walk, but I've got an idea for a new LEGO Game, one called LEGO Fast and Furious, of course, there are a few problems with this. Mainly to do with Censorship, but basically, it would be a "Next-Gen Driving and Open World Platformer Game based on an existing franchise, but with a LEGO Twist". And basically, I think the Fast and the Furious would be perfect with LEGO. I'm currently at college at the moment, and I want to develop this game after College. I'm on a Transition course this year and I think after the Transition I may do a Game Design Course. Just because this game is a dream game of mine that I want to be reality.
      Now, like I said, I have ran before I walked, unfortunately, I've already submitted the Pitch to Slideshare, which can be seen on this link. https://www.slideshare.net/BobbyBinnie/lego-fast-and-furious
      I've also tried to contact TT Games about it, but like I said, I'm still at College, but Lego haven't really made a good racing game since Lego Racers 2.

What do you think?
    • By MoreLion
      hey all! We are looking for members for our Unity horror game! 
      Here’s the story:
      After a deadly virus plunges the world into chaos killing 85% of the human population there are now what they call “zones” these zones are watched very closely by the surviving government, people are checked every day for the virus, even if you touch the spit or any human waste or fluids of the victim who is infected, you will die. But one day, people in the west zone start to go missing, 1 woman goes outside the walls to uncover the mystery, is there more to the virus than meets the eye?, That is where your story starts.
      This game is not a long development game, I have loads other game ideas,
      I will also allow you to have a bit of creative freedom if you wish to add or share a idea!
      And no, it’s not a zombie game lol I feel like zombie games are too generic, in this game you will encounter terrifying beasts!
      There is some concept art one of our concept artists have made
      If interested email liondude12@gmail.com
    • By zminusone
      Over ninety minutes of solemn gloom and Gothic epicness, with faint glimmers of hope shimmering here and there...
      https://zminusone.bandcamp.com/album/unworthy-ost
      Hi, I just released the soundtrack to the new indie game Unworthy. I had fun making it and thought maybe some people around here would have fun listening to it!
      Cheers!
    • By CpawsMusic
      **The game must be in the final stages of development and be close to release. Willing to do SFX or Music for free since Horror games heavily interest me.**
      Hey there! My name is Cpaws and I compose music, sound effects and overall sound design for video games and film. I've worked on numerous games and I'm looking to specifically pick up a Horror game.
      If you're interested in working together, don't hesitate to contact me at cpawsmusic@gmail.com
      Here's a few demo reels of my past projects: 
      Game Music I've Composed: https://soundcloud.com/cpawsmusic/sets/cpaws-video-game-film-music
      Website/Portfolio: https://CpawsMusic.com/
      E-mail: cpawsmusic@gmail.com
    • By Liquifire
      So I'm making this basic 2D engine using Haxe Kha, and i just need to integrate some physics. Just basic collision detection and gravity on basic shapes, nothing too detailed. But i want to try not to write it myself, so i just want suggestions on what open source phyisics engines i could use, and that wont be impossible to integrate. Thanks in advance.
    • By nihitori
      This is the official Sales topic for the acclaimed Colossal Game Music Collection (100+ five-star ratings on the Unity Asset Store) and its Lite version, the Essential Game Music Collection.

Updates will be made here every time a sale is taking place on either the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Current Sales:

Summer Sale on the Unreal Engine Marketplace -

- Colossal Game Music Collection at 60% OFF - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/colossal-game-music-collection

Please feel free to post here any questions you might have about either the sales or the collection itself.
    • By mtimjones
      I've just finished a proof-of-concept and I'm looking for feedback.
      The world takes place in a terminal and the user hacks through systems for some end goal (the first scenario is to hack your way through a network and kill a drone passenger by killing the drone's autopilot).  The user discovers/purchases exploits (future) which can then be used on systems to gain control over them.  One of the areas I find difficult is balancing measures vs. counter-measures, though this simple prototype doesn't get there yet.
      Levels will be defined by networks that have collections of interconnected systems that can be hacked, allowing access to systems deeper in the network (the target).  
      It's developed in C on Linux (using ncurses).  The image shows illustrates a sample scenario for stealing bitcoin from a system.  Full source is available at https://github.com/mtimjones/spectre.
      Thanks,
      Tim.

• By callmevivi
      Hi! 
      So, I've recently thought of a nice twist to a hack and slash-type zombie game that I'd love to make (mostly so that no one can steal the idea I'm not gonna elaborate to much on the story, but that should be no issue to help me, I think).
      But my problem here is that I have little to no knowledge of coding. I AM willing to learn, but I'd rather not have to develop 50 games before I've learned how to develop the game I actually wanna make. I'm just a hobbyist. I don't have that kind of endurance for this.
      The game I'm looking to develop is basically just your typical Player having to fight their way through masses of zombies in a city towards a certain safe place, going from location (check-point) to location.
      The only controls I really want for the player to have are:
      -to interact with objects (like talk to people aka trigger a dialogue or cutscene, pick up objects like weapons, have commentary appear when interacting with something (like the player clicking on a corpse and triggering the player thinking "Please, don't attack me to. ... Thank you very much, Sir.". All of this could be established with simply triggering a cutscene though.),
      -move with the arrow keys or ASWD,
      -have a health bar (not necessarily displayed, I just want the player to actually be able to die if they get gnawed by too many zombies)
      -and hack away at zombies coming towards the player. Just let out all your frustration by bashing in their faces, maybe have a satisfyingly-bloody animation when they die. 
      -Hopefully have companion characters fight zombie hordes with you. (Although I could get creative and find excuses not to have the side-characters fight with you)
      -No jumping required.
      -Inventory would be nice but not necessary either. 
      -Saving your current game progression manually would be great, but could be done with check-points, too.

Primary focus of the game would be just having fun hacking away at zombies and getting to know the characters, who I hope to make worth getting to know. 
      I've been researching the internet for game engines for weeks now but I haven't really found one that seemed helpful to me, mostly because the reviews are full of vocabulary that as an absolute newbie I understand none of. So, whenever I read the cons for an engine in the review I understand very little of it.
      Although an engine that requires absolutely no coding and still be able to perform all of this would be an absolute dream come true, I believe that's quite impossible to find. The only non-coding engines I've come across so far are absolute garbage due to limits, buggy, underdeveloped, or abandoned by their creators. I'm willing to learn coding, I'm not afraid of it as long as there are tutorials and templates out there, too. 
      As I'm a hobbyist I'd rather not pay for an engine or to export my game. I'm most-likely not going to sell my game for money and if I do it won't be expensive at all no matter how much time I'd invest in it. 
      Obviously the game would need to either be open source or let me publish and distribute the game freely.
      The only game engine I've found so far that I believe I'd understand is Adventure Game Studio, but I haven't used it much yet, just watched a couple tutorials on youtube. But it's a point-and-click only engine as it seems so it won't be of much help for this type of game, unless I get really creative with my controls (I'll keep this engine in mind for other possible projects in the future, though).
      I've tried Godot as well, which seems to be really hard to learn for a beginner of my level, especially as the coding language is completely unique to the engine from what I've read (and noticed myself).
      I did come across Unity and UE (Unreal Engine) and from what I've read it seems that Unity is better, but, again, I understand very little of any reviews I've read. What's mostly scaring me away is that services that have Premium possibilities you pay for are usually really limited in a stupid way. But if this is not the case, hey, let me know!
      Pixel-art-ish animation would work well, too, so an alternative to RPG Maker would be fine (or at the very least a cheap alternative where I don't have to pay monthly for).
      The art for the game I can provide and create completely by myself if it's 2D. I'm an artist mostly and I have experience with making comics and digital drawings (fanart mostly hahaha) and I've gotten into animation which I'm fairly decent at (I'd be willing to learn 3D animation, though!).
      So, that's about all the info I think might be of importance, but if there's anything more you need to know to help me, I'll answer as quick as I can!! And if you tell me I gotta give up on some of the features I want the game to have, I'd be willing to listen to suggestions. 
      Thanks in advance to everyone who is willing to help me!
    • By macmanmatty
      I have  some texture files I got from open game art  alas  they have no texture atlas file  and I would like to make texture atlas for them. Does  any one know a way to  EASILY split a file up into 32*32 tiles  or make a texture atlas for a a already packed  image with out one.
    • By Bobby Horn
      Hi everyone I'm a new game designer I'm currently getting my online bachelors degree from full sail University. I'm looking for a development team to make a JRPG. I'm doing this as a side project. I'm doing the game development in unreal engine 4. I have the basic storyline outline done now. I'm looking for a writer,developer,audio/music and someone that can help do the cutscenes. Any questions feel free to ask
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!