• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

C++ Why are enums broken

2 hours ago, frob said:

You can do that if you don't care about the specific bits involved.  The language standard says the allocation order for the bits is implementation defined.  You don't know which bits are assigned to which positions so everything needs to be done by name. 

Different ABIs have different bit ordering. If you're using the x64 ABI it is packed like this, and you'll note it can include spaces between items. Other platform ABIs have different packing requirements, and it looks like GCC supports six variants depending on the target platform.

True they are still bit flags, but beware they may not be the human-intuitive values that other programmers expect.

Would std bitset be a better choice? 

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

The main problem is: Enums are often misused as flags and even i use it that way, because i want my flags to be grouped.

A group of flags which can be validated is much safer and easier to use than random constants with a special naming convention.

Randoms constants defined in a namespace is not the same as grouped flags - you wont get compile error validation!

My way of doing it is the following:

#define ENUM_AS_FLAGS_OPERATORS(etype) \
	inline etype operator | (etype a, etype b) { \
		return static_cast<etype>(static_cast<int>(a) | static_cast<int>(b)); \
	} \
	inline bool operator & (etype a, etype b) { \
		return (static_cast<etype>(static_cast<int>(a) & static_cast<int>(b))) == b; \
	} \
	inline etype& operator |= (etype &a, etype b) { \
		return a = a | b; \
	}

enum class MyEnumAsFlags : int {
  None = 0,
  A = 1 << 0,
  B = 1 << 1,
  C = 1 << 2,
};
ENUM_AS_FLAGS_OPERATORS(MyEnumAsFlags);

But this is a stupid and should not be required - really there should be a something like this (without requiring any templated whatsoever, it should just be part of the language):

// For flags just make it clear its a enumeration of flags (First entry is 1, second is 2, third is 4, etc.)
// its so simple - dont understand why the c++ standard does not contain this
enum flags MyFlags {
  A, // Is 1
  B, // Is 2
  C, // Is 4
};
enum flags MyFlags {
  None = 0,
  A = 1,
  B = 2
  C, // C is 4
};

MyFlags w = MyFlags::A | MyFlags::B;
MyFlags t = 0x3; // Compile error
MyFlags f = 0x2; // Translated to MyFlags::B
MyFlags d = 0; // No flags -> Totally valid to pass zero here

// flags with fixed integral type
enum flags MyByteFlags : int8_t {
  A = 0x1,
  B = 0x2
};

// enum class without type
enum class MyChoice {
  None,
  One,
  Two
};

MyChoice w = MyChoice::One;
MyChoice t = MyChoice::One | MyChoice::Two; // Compile error
MyChoice f = 1; // Compile error

// enum class with fixed integral type (First entry is one always, unless its overriden)
enum class MyChoice : int32_t {
  None = 0,
  One,
  Two
};

MyChoice w = MyChoice::One;
MyChoice t = MyChoice::One | MyChoice::Two; // Compile error
MyChoice f = 3; // Compile error
MyChoice d = 1; // Translated to MyChoice::One

Edited by Finalspace

On 6/12/2018 at 3:23 AM, Finalspace said:

it should just be part of the language

It is, and it doesn't break anything:  Use a non-class version of an enum.  

There are two different needs here.  

The use of strongly typed enumerated values as exactly that: enumerated values.  You have a set of values and they only make sense as the values themselves.  An enumeration like { Cheddar, Mozzarella, Roquefort, Provolone, Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, Feta } is an example. A n enumeration like { Fork, Knife, Spoon, Cup, Plate } is another. The bitwise operations on actual enumerations does not make sense. What does it mean to take the bitwise AND of Fork and Spoon? What does it mean to take the bitwise OR of Cheddar and Pepper Jack?  I can understand a logical operations, but not bitwise operations.

A flag means using an enum as a named integer value representing a bit pattern. They can be manipulated as flags but they are no longer enumeration values when you do so.  When the integer value is a single bit or pattern of bit, then bitwise operations make sense. The bitwise AND of Bit3 and Bit7 is something meaningful. Unless someone has made the effort to enumerate every one of the 2^n combinations, it probably is not specifically enumerated.

The .net framework -- note that it is not the language itself but a core library --  has their [Flags] attribute, but people have done exactly the same thing with templates and macros in C++. In C# you create your enum and write the line [Flags] on the line above it. In C++ you create your enum and write the line ENUM_AS_FLAGS (or whatever your code library calls it) on the line below it.  In both cases the cost to the programmer is a single indicator. In both cases it is not part of the language itself, but instead part of libraries people use.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 1:23 AM, Finalspace said:

A group of flags which can be validated is much safer and easier to use than random constants with a special naming convention.

If you need flags, why would you not just use std::bitset? This kind of thing is exactly what it's meant for. You can still put an enum into a std::bitset and eliminate the "abuse", albeit with some casting. If that bothers you, you can always write a template wrapper for std::bitset that specializes on the enum class and does the casting for you.

Edited by Oberon_Command

I find myself wanting to do arithmetic operations and bitwise operations on enums all the time. Here's an example from my chess engine:

enum Piece {
  Pawn, WhitePawn = Pawn, BlackPawn,
  Knight, WhiteKnight = Knight, BlackKnight,
  Bishop, WhiteBishop = Bishop, BlackBishop,
  Rook, WhiteRook = Rook, BlackRook,
  Queen, WhiteQueen = Queen, BlackQueen,
  King, WhiteKing = King, BlackKing,
  Empty, NPieces = Empty
};

I use this type as index in an array declared something like `uint64_t bb[NPieces]'. This is a bitboard representation of the position, where bb[WhitePawn] is the 64-bit integer whose bits indicate the presence or absence of a white pawn at each location. Then I can refer to the pawns of the side to move as `bb[Pawn + side_to_move]', where `side_to_move' is 0 for white and 1 for black (I have an enum for that too). The result of that sum is an int [I believe] and if I wanted to store it in a variable of type Piece I would have to cast it.

Another operation that I may want to do is loop over the piece types, which also requires arithmetic.

for (Piece piece = WhitePawn; piece != NPieces; piece = Piece(piece + 1))

It would be nice if I didn't have to fight the compiler to accept `++piece' as my increment.

In order to check if a piece is a pawn of either color, I can do `((piece & ~1) == Pawn)'.

I don't have much of a problem working within the language: I either define some operators to return Piece or I sometimes use `int' in places where `Piece' would be more expressive, so the compiler doesn't complain. But I can see how some people might feel that enums are too restrictive.

@alvaro I feel like if you're going to do that kind of code, Piece should really be a class where you can overload the ++ operator.

Then you can do Piece.IsPawn etc. In theory, this shouldn't cost you anything in terms of performance, but I'll grant that a chess engine is not something where you have a lot of margin for extra space, etc.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Oberon_Command said:

If you need flags, why would you not just use std::bitset? This kind of thing is exactly what it's meant for. You can still put an enum into a std::bitset and eliminate the "abuse", albeit with some casting. If that bothers you, you can always write a template wrapper for std::bitset that specializes on the enum class and does the casting for you.

No i dont want to use bitset or anything else from the STL - just to get grouped flags. I think its just stupid that its not part of the language itself. Object pascal has it since ages, set of and other useful features: http://www.delphibasics.co.uk/Article.asp?Name=Sets

12 hours ago, frob said:

It is, and it doesn't break anything:  Use a non-class version of an enum.

Enums until C++/11 are pretty much useless in my opponion. Why? All enum values are in the global namespace + Weak compile time validation.

Edited by Finalspace

4 hours ago, Finalspace said:

Enums until C++/11 are pretty much useless in my opponion. Why? All enum values are in the global namespace + Weak compile time validation.

The enum values before C++11 were in whatever namespace you defined the enum, not necessarily in the global namespace.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, alvaro said:

The enum values before C++11 were in whatever namespace you defined the enum, not necessarily in the global namespace.

True, but you can access each member inside it without specify the enum at all, which makes each value pretty much a constant. Example:

namespace abc {
	enum OldCPPEnum {
		A,
		B,
		C
	};

static void OldCppEnumTest() {
		OldCPPEnum x = OldCPPEnum::B;
		OldCPPEnum y = A;
	}
}
namespace cba {