Very Important VC++ Windowed API Program Scaling

Started by
10 comments, last by Josheir 5 years, 10 months ago

Hello everyone, this is a very important question so I hope I get a response, please.  I created a program using windows API and it is nice.  However In a separate thread we discussed scaling up the graphics of a different game I was working on.  Now what I'm working on is a windowed utility that is 1024 x 768 for every monitor below 2x.  My question is do I need to scale up this simple window with buttons too.  I can do this if I need to, but the program is small so I was wondering if this is the way to go (increasing the size of the buttons, and the font size.)  So, do I need to make a different version for 2x, 4x, 8x?

I hope I get a response or I'm doomed.

Thanks,

Josheir

Advertisement

Now that I think of it perhaps I am doomed anyways because the VC++ API buttons' labels might not scale up right.

Does anyone know about this too?

Thank you,

Josheir

There I was caught up in the moment, I found a solution to the button font size (fairly certain.)  Now, there is just the original important question.

Thank you,

Josheir

I'm not sure what you mean by a level of indirection.

I have the button now displaying a label but I'm stumped about how it will appear on the 2x, 4x, 8x.  My understanding was to make everything looking similar to double the size of an image on 2x, etc.  

Now how can I work the button text than as far as making it look good on the larger resolution monitors?

Thanks; I've really struggled with this scaling,

Josheir

Well, I believe I have skinned the cat.  I use factors to work with scaling and there is a width and height to the font for scaling too.  Now do I change it for different resolutions?

Josheir

So you're making some sort of windowed utility application?

Is it important for some reason that it fills the screen?

Many utility applications don't bother with any scaling, or only scale if the user manually resizes the window.

13 hours ago, Josheir said:

Now what I'm working on is a windowed utility that is 1024 x 768 for every monitor below 2x.

Below 2× what?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Are you working on some kind of custom UI Widget toolkit that runs on Windows? 

http://9tawan.net/en/

13 hours ago, jbadams said:

Below 2× what?

Sorry, 2K.

8 hours ago, mr_tawan said:

Are you working on some kind of custom UI Widget toolkit that runs on Windows? 

I'm using Windows API.

So you're making some sort of windowed utility application?

Is it important for some reason that it fills the screen? 

I guess it isn't, I thought it might not be readable on the higher resolutions, for example 4k or higher (it would be to little) especially the button text (geeze, it would be beneficial if it is readable )?

I have never worked with these large monitors so I need help in understanding.  How would my buttons/button text and actual font text appear on these higher resolutions?

Many utility applications don't bother with any scaling, or only scale if the user manually resizes the window. 

By manually resize the window what do you mean, could you be more specific and it's unclear to me.  I'm thinking maybe you mean the user changes their own resolution in display settings?  

Thanks everyone,

Josheir

My windowed application looks fine at 1920 x 1080 on a very large TV.  Can I have faith that with the 4x and 8x there will always be a resolution that will work well for me?

Josheir

EDIT : The width only uses 27 inches.

It seems like it would be okay since 2k are usually 23 inches diagonal and higher and 4k and 8k can use an allowable resolution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement