• Advertisement
the incredible smoker

Convert coordinate to zero Z ( 2D )

Someone else will have to offer API specific details; I've only ever really used OpenGL and it has been a long time since I implemented an actual rendering pipeline. I more of a general software developer.

Basically, you will need to get your world, object, and let's say "look" matrices in order. The look matrix just gets the camera looking where you want it, it doesn't do any projection. Then formulate your orthographic projection taking into account any handedness issues, the size of the screen, and how big you want things to be. Then multiply things as usual, using the orthographic matrix as your projection matrix (instead of a perspective one).

I don't know the details of your code or how you've set things up, and I don't know anything about DirectX, so really it is up to you to google your way though this unless someone else offers any DirectX details.

Advertisement

So long as you can translate the math to code, Wikipedia is a good place to start when it comes to said math. Most basic graphic topics are well trodden and covered there.

are you just trying to project a 3d vector onto the x-y plane?