• Advertisement
Colm

Algorithm Anyone got any resources or ideas on how the LittleBigPlanet building system works?

Posted (edited)

Hey all, I've been trying to work out how LittleBigPlanet handles its objects for a while now.

For those unaware, LittleBigPlanet has a building component where you can build 2D-ish (there are 2 - 16 2D layers that you can build on) objects. There are a number of shaped brushes to do this with, from basic squares and circles to teardrops and eye shapes. There's a decent video showing this off, actually.

Anyways, I've been trying to work out how this works for a while now. My current thought is that it might be along the lines of storing a list of object corners and then drawing an object within those bounds - this makes the most sense to me because the engine has a corner editor for making more advanced shapes, and because some of the restrictions in the engine are based around corners. Of course, that could also be completely wrong and it's something else entirely.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Colm

Advertisement

It uses 2D vectors and then defines a depth based on a grid. Booleans are used for more complex shapes. This is very similar to a voxel system but closer related to Binary space partitioning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_space_partitioning. It also follows rules for 2D games like Rayman Legends.

In truth it is a collaboration of many 3D real time mesh creation. Character editing for example follows other rules.

Unreal has BSP meshes build in and if you try them you will see it works very similar. LittleBigPlanet just focused a lot of time into making it easy to use for the player. Basicly dumbing down the process and making it streamline.

One example is the depth, layers, it snaps to a grid and the player has to learn to live with it.

Posted (edited)

LBP writes a lot of their own shader programs for their games, they do an amazing job as well and the lead graphics programmer is extremely talented. 

Here is some more useful information on how their rendering works. I know this has nothing to do with the objects but this webpage displays a lot of cool and useful information about how they made LBP work. 

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2011/Evans, Kirczenow - Voxels in LBP2 (Siggraph 2011 Advances in Real-Time Rendering Course).pdf

In Create Mode, players are able to build levels using the hundreds of tools, materials, and objects available. In LittleBigPlanet 2, Logic components were introduced, and other objects were added that made Creating levels easier.

LittleBigPlanet 3 introduced Adventure Craters, and also added additional logic tools such as the Object Saver, Broadcast Microchip, and Object and Character Animation Tweakers.

Referenced from: http://littlebigplanet.wikia.com/wiki/Create_Mode

Edited by Bradley Latreille