• Advertisement
Androphin

Isometric view with 2 grids & tile size

Posted (edited)

Cube.png.763bf2c71e0862fc396fb4e8e1f456e9.png

Please use the above image in your game, so I can see if everything is setup correctly.

1 hour ago, Androphin said:

I needed a rotation-matrix for the isometric perspective

There seems to be a confusion. A Orthographic camera, produces a Isometric image when it is lined up at a 45 degree angle.

All Isometric images are Orthographic,however not all Orthographic images are Isometric. Like all thumbs are fingers but no all fingers are thumbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Androphin said:

Due to the direction and position of the cam, I needed a rotation-matrix for the isometric perspective. (As described in my 3rd post)

Reading this again. Do you mean, you don't know how to make the image "look" at the camera? You could use a "look" formula, however because isometric is done from 45 degree angles; you can just rotate sprites by 45 degrees.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Reading this again. Do you mean, you don't know how to make the image "look" at the camera? You could use a "look" formula, however because isometric is done from 45 degree angles; you can just rotate sprites by 45 degrees.

Exactly, the image "planes" are not parallel to the projectionmatrix/viewport of the camera, because the camera is looking down to the origin in a 45 degree angle and the sprites get drawed on y/x.
This image shows how the sprites are drawn. The rotation matrix rotates the sprites 45 degree around the y-axis.
scewed.png.9fea5732f9fee21db16dcfe81ef286ad.png

In your image
IsoImage.jpg
the one in the middle shows how I want it.
My sprites are perpendicular to the isometric grid. That's why they look scewed.

Edited by Androphin

I see libgdx allows you to define a matrix from the start for your sprites, using Batch() https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/ci/nightlies/docs/api/com/badlogic/gdx/graphics/g2d/Batch.html#begin--

So if you use Batch.begin(); just as is, it will look at the camera. So if you wanted a HUD it would be: hudBatch.begin(); So don't assign any matrix to the batch of sprites.

It's nice to know that libgdx uses batches from the start.

Posted (edited)

Your grid tiles are diamonds, so to get a isometric look you "flatten" them by scaling the height. So when you load in my sprite that is already isometric, it just gets flattened.

batch.setProjectionMatrix(camOrtho.combined);
      batch.setTransformMatrix(imageFaceCameraMatrix);
      batch.begin();
      batch.draw(squareDummy, 0, 0);
      batch.end();

Should be:

Matrix batchMatrix = camOrtho.combined.setToScaling(1,2,1); //Assuming XYZ; I really don't use LibGDX anymore

batch.setProjectionMatrix(batchMatrix);
      batch.setTransformMatrix(imageFaceCameraMatrix);
      batch.begin();
      batch.draw(squareDummy, 0, 0);
      batch.end();

//I didn't have time to test the above, but it should work.

The short story is that your sprites have to be twice as long, because your camera "flattens" the diamonds. You could use longer sprites, or adjust sprite scale with setScale( 1, 2)  when imported. Whatever you want, the camera is shrinking the Y scale by half.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Im Actually not sure anymore what you are refering to as the problem. Your secondary video looks correct to me as it does render isometric quads. Or do you mean that the alpha is not present so it displays alot of white?

10 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Your grid tiles are diamonds, so to get a isometric look you "flatten" them by scaling the height.

Many "isometric" games are actually at a 1:2:1 ratio, which is probably the angles you're thinking about.  It isn't quite isometric since only two of the three angles are the same, but it looks much nicer on pixels. 

Probably the clearest writeup on that is in Wikipedia, here

4 minutes ago, frob said:

Many "isometric" games are actually at a 1:2:1 ratio, which is probably the angles you're thinking about.

Yes, that is correct. I was thinking of correcting this so that the angle is correct again. It was the only problem I could still see in the last image.