SSAO - convert normals from world space to view space

Started by
3 comments, last by d07RiV 5 years, 10 months ago

So, i'm currently trying to implement an SSAO shader from THIS tutorial and i'm running into a few issues here.

Now, this SSAO method requires view space positions and normals. I'm storing the normals in my deferred renderer in world-space so i had to do a conversion and reconstruct the position from the depth buffer.

And something there goes horribly wrong (which has probably to do with worldspace to viewspace transformations).

(here is the full shader source code if someone wants to take a look at it)

Spoiler

#version 330

in vec2 vTexcoord;
out vec4 outputF;

uniform sampler2D sNormals;
uniform sampler2D sDepth;//for reconstructing world position
uniform sampler2D sNoise;

uniform mat4 uInverseViewProjectionBiased;//for position reconstruction
uniform mat4 uProjection; // camera projection which was used to render the buffers
uniform vec3 samples[64];
uniform mat4 uViewMatrix; // transforming coordinates to viewspace
uniform mat4 uNormalViewMatrix; // transforming normals to viewspace (same as viewmatrix, but without position transform)

uniform float uZnear;
uniform float uZfar;

int kernelSize = 64;
float radius = 0.5;
float bias = 0.025;

// tile noise texture over screen based on screen dimensions divided by noise size
const vec2 noiseScale = vec2(1280.0/4.0, 720.0/4.0); 
//-----------------------

//returns world space coordinates from depthbuffer
vec3 depthToWorld(sampler2D depthMap,vec2 texcoord,mat4 biasedInverseProjView){
		float depth = texture2D(depthMap,texcoord).r;        

vec4 position = vec4(texcoord* 2.0 - 1.0,depth* 2.0 - 1.0,1.0);
        position = ((biasedInverseProjView)*position);
        return vec3(position/position.w);
}

void main()
{
	//view space position and normal	
    vec3 fragPos = (uViewMatrix*vec4(depthToWorld(sDepth,vTexcoord,uInverseViewProjectionBiased),1.0f)).xyz;
	fragPos.z = -fragPos.z;//multiplying with viewmatrix results in z coordinate being negative. multiply with -1 to make it positive

vec3 normal = ((uNormalViewMatrix*vec4(normalize(texture2D(sNormals, vTexcoord).rgb),1.0)).xyz);
    vec3 randomVec = normalize(texture2D(sNoise, vTexcoord * noiseScale).xyz);

// create TBN change-of-basis matrix: from tangent-space to view-space
    vec3 tangent = normalize(randomVec - normal * dot(randomVec, normal));
    vec3 bitangent = (cross(normal, tangent));
    mat3 TBN = mat3(tangent, bitangent, normal);
    // iterate over the sample kernel and calculate occlusion factor
    float occlusion = 0.0;	
	for(int i = 0; i < kernelSize; i++)
    {
        // get sample position
        vec3 sample = TBN * samples[i]; // from tangent to view-space
        sample =  sample * radius + fragPos; 

// project sample position (to sample texture) (to get position on screen/texture)
        vec4 offset = vec4(sample, 1.0);
        offset = uProjection * offset; // from view to clip-space
        offset.xyz /= offset.w; // perspective divide
        offset.xyz = offset.xyz * 0.5 + 0.5; // transform to range 0.0 - 1.0

// get sample depth
		float sampleDepth = -(uViewMatrix*vec4(depthToWorld(sDepth,offset.xy,uInverseViewProjectionBiased),1.0f)).z;//here again, depth is negative so multiply by -1

// range check & accumulate
		float rangeCheck= abs(fragPos.z - sampleDepth) < radius ? 1.0 : 0.0;
		occlusion += (sampleDepth >= sample.z ? 1.0 : 0.0) * rangeCheck;
    }
    occlusion = 1.0 - (occlusion / kernelSize);

outputF = vec4(occlusion,occlusion,occlusion,1.0f);

}

Now, i suspect that the normals are the culprit.

vec3 normal = ((uNormalViewMatrix*vec4(normalize(texture2D(sNormals, vTexcoord).rgb),1.0)).xyz);

"sNormals" is a 2D texture which stores the normals in world space in a RGB FP16 buffer.

Now i can't use the camera viewspace matrix to transform the normals into viewspace as the cameras position isn't set at (0,0,0), thus skewing the result.

So what i did is to create a new viewmatrix specifically for this normal without the position at vec3(0,0,0);

//"camera" is the camera which was used for rendering the normal buffer
renderer.setUniform4m(ressources->shaderSSAO->getUniform("uNormalViewMatrix"),
glmExt::createViewMatrix(glm::vec3(0,0,0),camera.getForward(),camera.getUp())//parameters are (position,forwardVector,upVector)
);

Though i have the feeling this is the wrong approach. Is this right or is there a better/correct way of transforming a world space normal into viewspace?

Advertisement

You don't transform normals with the same matrices you use for positions. Skipping the math part, you need to apply the inverse-transpose of the transform to it. For rotation-only matrices it is the same thing (because inverse of rotation is its transpose) but that's not true for scaling or translation. Luckily, assuming your view matrix is just rotation+translation, you can just use W=0 for your normal to skip the translation, no need to invert any matrices.

7 minutes ago, d07RiV said:

You don't transform normals with the same matrices you use for positions. Skipping the math part, you need to apply the inverse-transpose of the transform to it. For rotation-only matrices it is the same thing (because inverse of rotation is its transpose) but that's not true for scaling or translation. Luckily, assuming your view matrix is just rotation+translation, you can just use W=0 for your normal to skip the translation, no need to invert any matrices.

Which transformation are you referring to in this case? the camera? the objects transformation (which i don't have access to in the shader. Only the position of the pixel which is reconstructed from the depth)?

and does setting W to zero refer to this line?

vec3 normal = ((uNormalViewMatrix*vec4(normalize(texture2D(sNormals, vTexcoord).rgb),0.0)).xyz);//W set to zero

Yes, a zero there should do the trick I think. Or just convert your matrix to `mat3`, same thing.

(something is buggy with the equation editor so this whole paragraph got deleted.. oh well)

But the real bad part is that you're applying *translation* (which is part of the view matrix) to your normals is definitely wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement