• Advertisement
macmanmatty

Optimization proper way to change armor '/ weapon images?

Posted (edited)

I have   spirtes that will be turned into animation images  for  the game actors.  What would be the best way to change the weapon / armor for each actor?  IE walking with sword swinging sword  then when he equips axe walking with axe  swinging axe  ECT.  Same for armor? Have sheets with  the weapons and armor and then overlay them on to the base spirte when the user changes the weapon  or have premade sheets  with all of the various combos of  armor / weapons  that the solider can have and then just grab the ones needed for the current selection. I'm thinking the first option is better, but are there any other better ways?

Edited by macmanmatty

Advertisement

Weapons and armour can be parented on top of the sprite. Terraria works like this and has mod tools so you can see how it works.

The proper way to do armour however is to make full sprite sheets with the character wearing the new armour, that is why so few of the old games used it. It is more stable and has no chance of errors where the original armour shows through.

Parenting over is the fastest and best way using modern computers, having one sprite overlapping a other has almost no cost, so feel free to do it this way. Just check that each piece is working correctly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By davejones
      I have been doing research into optimising 3d models in 3ds max. There seems to be so many different ways to optimise 3d models. I am unsure which method is the best and have been trying different tools such as the pro optimizer tool in 3ds max. Does anyone know the best way to optimise 3d models in 3ds max? I am trying to reduce the file size whilst maintain a high quality model. So produce a low polygon model which looks like a high polygon model. 
    • By Phanoo
      It's for a 2D game, but the question is broader...
      Let's say I want to have some object (eg. a projectile) interact with some other object (eg. a button) so the projectile thrown by the player can trigger the button. I know there could be several ways of doing this, like the brute force o(n^2) method, the 'optimized' method using a QuadTree or spatial hash... But i thought about another method, and was wondering if it's a good idea or not :
      It consist of iterating two times over the active game object list:
      - the first looks for projectile objects, storing their pointers into some array
      - the second looks for button objects, checking if collision occurs with one of the projectiles in the array

Other specific collisions checks could be done with this method, but that would need multiple pointer lists.

Do you know how old games (like thoses on Genesis, we're talking about 8Mhz cpus...) achieved that ?
      Should I just implement some spatial hashing and checking all the collisions inside the restrained area, avoiding storing pointer lists ?

My levels would have about 1000 objects, i'm not that much concerned about performance since I know how to optimize, but more on finding an elegant/simple way of doing this. I'd like keeping the code small and maintainable.
    • By Woody Stevens
      Hi,

I am looking for a TCP or HTTP networking library similar to Lidgren (UDP).

This is primarily for sending game map data and potentially other large messages from Server to Client.

I do want to keep Lidgren for my chat messages, player position, small fast updates etc. I especially love the flow of data and the library usage in general, so any libraries of a similar style would be excellent. Preferably something open source, free and reliable.
      I also must be able to swap between localhost and an ip address with ease, like Lidgren, as I run a server for singleplayer/mp/lan.

My game maps are similar to minecraft, but it is 2d and only one Z-level, so i'm sending a jagged array of Tile object data (currently only enum TileID.Grass) down the pipe to the Client. Problem is if i'm sending a large map 1024 x 1024 tiles down the to client that's quite a lot of data, and Lidgren is relatively slow to build the writes (before the message is even sent!). It is fine when i'm using smaller maps < 512 x 512 ( xTiles * yTiles ).

I know about chunking and will look into implementing this later, whilst taking into account the user's position in the world to only send nearby chunks.

An example of my code that can be slow:
      private void WriteWorld(NetOutgoingMessage outgoing) { try { var world = WorldManager.Instance.CurrentWorld; outgoing.Write(world.XTiles); outgoing.Write(world.YTiles); for (int x = 0; x < world.XTiles; x++) { for (int y = 0; y < world.YTiles; y++) { // Write Tile obj data outgoing.Write((int)world.Tiles[x][y]); // <-------- Slow here when xTiles and yTiles are each > 512 ! } } } catch (Exception ex) { // log send error } }  
      I'd love to hear from you guys, especially if any of you have come across a similar challenge.
    • By tromtrom
      I've been doing some research on delta compression (used and described in the Quake3 doc http://trac.bookofhook.com/bookofhook/trac.cgi/wiki/Quake3Networking,), and I'm looking for some clarifications on that topic please if possible.
      I understand that the delta compressed state is the difference between any given world states, meaning that if we store the state of every entity in a world state at every tick, the difference would be only the states of entities that changed between these two world states.
      Now when sending back the delta state to the client, do we go as far as only mentioning the properties that changed? Let's say a character moved only on X axis but didn't move on the Y axis between two states, are we sending to the client the whole state (x, and y) or only the new x position?
      If that's the case and let's assume there are a few more properties that describes a character, how can the client identify which properties have actually changed when rebuilding the information from binary data.

• By Scouting Ninja
      So I have hundreds of moving objects that need to check there speed. One of the reasons they need to check there speed is so they don't accelerate into oblivion, as more and more force is added to each object.
      At first I was just using the Unity vector3.magnitude. However this is actually very slow; when used hundreds of times.
      Next I tried the dot-product check:  vector3.dot(this.transform.foward, ShipBody.velocity) The performance boost was fantastic. However this only measures speed in the forward direction. Resulting in bouncing objects accelerating way past the allowed limit.

I am hoping someone else knows a good way for me to check the speed with accuracy, that is fast on the CPU. Or just any magnitude calculations that I can test when I get home later.

What if I used  vector3.dot(ShipBody.velocity.normalized, ShipBody.velocity)?
      How slow is it to normalize a vector, compared to asking it's magnitude?
    • By Liquifire
      I'm making an small 2D engine using Kha and I have a timer class, which basically simply either waits a certain amount of time to call a function, or repeatedly calls a certain function after every x seconds. I simply want to know if I should have timers run on different threads. I'm aware that makes sense, but I might use many timers in a game for example, would that still be okay? Also I'm currently writing an animation components, which waits every x seconds to draw another image using the timer class. And in a normal 2D games, I would have many objects with animations on them, other than the other timers. So I just wanted to ask people who have more experience and knowledge than I have what I should do for timers: Either leave them on the same main thread, or make them run on different threads. Thanks in advance.
    • By cgaish
      Hi,
      I am trying to implement a custom texture atlas creator tool in C++, need suggestion regarding any opensource fast API or library for image import and export?
      Also this tool will compress the final output atlas image into multiple formats like DXT5, PVRTC and ETC based on user input, what should be the best way to implement this?
      Thanks
    • By lxjk
      Hi guys,
      There are many ways to do light culling in tile-based shading. I've been playing with this idea for a while, and just want to throw it out there.
      Because tile frustums are general small compared to light radius, I tried using cone test to reduce false positives introduced by commonly used sphere-frustum test.
      On top of that, I use distance to camera rather than depth for near/far test (aka. sliced by spheres).
      This method can be naturally extended to clustered light culling as well.
      The following image shows the general ideas

Performance-wise I get around 15% improvement over sphere-frustum test. You can also see how a single light performs as the following: from left to right (1) standard rendering of a point light; then tiles passed the test of (2) sphere-frustum test; (3) cone test; (4) spherical-sliced cone test

I put the details in my blog post (https://lxjk.github.io/2018/03/25/Improve-Tile-based-Light-Culling-with-Spherical-sliced-Cone.html), GLSL source code included!

Eric
    • By akshayMore
      Hello,
      I am trying to make a GeometryUtil class that has methods to draw point,line ,polygon etc. I am trying to make a method to draw circle.  
      There are many ways to draw a circle.  I have found two ways, 
      The one way:
      public static void drawBresenhamCircle(PolygonSpriteBatch batch, int centerX, int centerY, int radius, ColorRGBA color) { int x = 0, y = radius; int d = 3 - 2 * radius; while (y >= x) { drawCirclePoints(batch, centerX, centerY, x, y, color); if (d <= 0) { d = d + 4 * x + 6; } else { y--; d = d + 4 * (x - y) + 10; } x++; //drawCirclePoints(batch,centerX,centerY,x,y,color); } } private static void drawCirclePoints(PolygonSpriteBatch batch, int centerX, int centerY, int x, int y, ColorRGBA color) { drawPoint(batch, centerX + x, centerY + y, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX - x, centerY + y, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX + x, centerY - y, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX - x, centerY - y, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX + y, centerY + x, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX - y, centerY + x, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX + y, centerY - x, color); drawPoint(batch, centerX - y, centerY - x, color); } The other way:
      public static void drawCircle(PolygonSpriteBatch target, Vector2 center, float radius, int lineWidth, int segments, int tintColorR, int tintColorG, int tintColorB, int tintColorA) { Vector2[] vertices = new Vector2[segments]; double increment = Math.PI * 2.0 / segments; double theta = 0.0; for (int i = 0; i < segments; i++) { vertices[i] = new Vector2((float) Math.cos(theta) * radius + center.x, (float) Math.sin(theta) * radius + center.y); theta += increment; } drawPolygon(target, vertices, lineWidth, segments, tintColorR, tintColorG, tintColorB, tintColorA); } In the render loop:
      polygonSpriteBatch.begin(); Bitmap.drawBresenhamCircle(polygonSpriteBatch,500,300,200,ColorRGBA.Blue); Bitmap.drawCircle(polygonSpriteBatch,new Vector2(500,300),200,5,50,255,0,0,255); polygonSpriteBatch.end(); I am trying to choose one of them. So I thought that I should go with the one that does not involve heavy calculations and is efficient and faster.  It is said that the use of floating point numbers , trigonometric operations etc. slows down things a bit.  What do you think would be the best method to use?  When I compared the code by observing the time taken by the flow from start of the method to the end, it shows that the second one is faster. (I think I am doing something wrong here ).
      Please help!  
      Thank you.  
    • By CPPapprentice
      Hi Forum,
      in terms of rendering a tiled game level, lets say the level is 3840x2208 pixels using 16x16 tiles. which method is recommended;
      method 1- draw the whole level, store it in a texture-object, and only render whats in view, each frame.
      method 2- on each frame, loop trough all tiles, and only draw and render it to the window if its in view.

are both of these methods valid? is there other ways? i know method 1 is memory intensive  but method 2 is processing heavy.
      thanks in advance
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!