Becoming a tester to get started in the industry (was: need helpp)

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 10 months ago
So I've been contemplating this for a bit, and I wanted to know GD people's opinion.
I resent the people who "want to be a tester to play games" as much as the next guy, but would a good reason to apply to be a game tester be to get started in the video game industry? Do companies recognize that?

Advertisement

What do you really mean, when you say 'do they recognise it'?

If you want to actually be a game tester, you have to meet the requirements to be a game tester. A desire to work with games is part of that, but only one part. You can't just walk into the role.

If you want to actually be something else, like a programmer, artist, or designer, you have to meet the requirements for those roles. Already being in the industry as a tester may help. It may give you some experience that another candidate would lack. But you still have to meet the other criteria, i.e. whatever experience, knowledge, skills and education they want you to have.

5 hours ago, HMie2812@ said:

would a good reason to apply to be a game tester be to get started in the video game industry?

It's not a "good" reason - it's an expected reason.  Kylotan's answer is very good - you want to be in the video game industry, right? Is your goal to be a tester throughout your game industry career? Do you have a degree? Are you looking for a way into games without getting a degree? What is your goal here? 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement