WHO recognising 'gaming disorder'

Started by
37 comments, last by Fulcrum.013 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, hunting Pokemons can kill people(driving a car while hunting pokemons)

I personally think games who try to fake reality are harmful for a growing brain. All those realistically looking games are not real and fool a growing brain. Parallax, bump maps, ambient occlusion(and almost any technique in those games) are only almost real. I would not let my kid play 3D videogames or VR for more than 1h a day. He has to learn real physics kicking a real ball. Playing with a real Lego is building the neuronal connections of a kid between hands, space and all. While minecraft is building a fake link between 3D space projected into 2D screen surface and a joystick. Two players playing on a video game, are watching for hours the wrong angle of the perspective. The perspective was meant to be seen from the center.

(don't get me wrong, I love 3D games, and I am addicted to them, so I am not playing at all. When I start playing I can play 20h without going to pee. That's why I don't play, because I know myself. I love 3D games, but I would not recommend them to my kids. It is like smoking parents who don't like their children to smoke.)

Still, I am not sure that taxing the game producers is a fair thing to do. Maybe parents have to be penalized somehow.

(Many of logical/puzzle 2D games are actually making the brain think. So they are good for ppl)

I can foresee, people suing the game companies, because they lost their jobs for playing, or because of playing they forgot to take their medicine and almost died.

Advertisement

29 minutes ago, NikiTo said:

Many of logical/puzzle 2D games are actually making the brain think. So they are good for ppl

So it require to categorize games first.

30 minutes ago, NikiTo said:

I would not let my kid play 3D videogames or VR for more than 1h a day.

In close future any engineering job will use VR becouse it is a natural evolution of CADs interface, and any technical related job will use AR becouse it only way to connect CADs projects with real world implementation for tasks that not be complite unmanned yet. So it should be very importent to be familiar with AR/VR environment. So shortly it have to become to schools and colledges like as pen and paper on ancient ages.

22 minutes ago, NikiTo said:

He has to learn real physics kicking a real ball.

Of course it is very importent too, and can not be skiped anycase. But can you allow them to play with ball on orbital station for example? Nobody has understand even base physics without formulas yet. Students that learn rule of moments an forces addition anytime have a 3-day explosion of brains, becouse can not belive that non-central force have same linear effect as central, just becouse on gravity conditions anything have a support that eleminate it effect. Some peoples can not belive until see a video captured on orbital station.

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

@Fulcrum.013
I wasn't meaning to learn physics for an exam in school. Rather, their bodies to learn how to use physics. Having more realistic for the real world reflexes. An extreme example is to make a real life boxer to fight against a Tekken champion.

VR is ok, after they are at certain age. Still, it produces headaches in adults too. I would prefer kids to manipulate holograms in schools instead of wearing VR helmets. Holograms would be healthier.

13 minutes ago, NikiTo said:

I wasn't meaning to learn physics for an exam in school. Rather, their bodies to learn how to use physics.

That's not "learning physics", it's "exercise". :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

1 minute ago, jbadams said:

That's not "learning physics", it's "exercise". :) 

You are right! My bad.

The problem of games is that the brain enters in learn mode. For hours and hours the player observes how the hair of Aloy passes through her clothes. Have you never tilted your whole body trying to take a curve in Need For Speed? 
For a movie of bad CGIs, I don't think this is so harmful, because there is no learning for the autonomic nervous system.

When the game is 2D, the player does not lose the notation of reality so much. It is like learning to play the piano. But when the game pretends to fake reality and fails in any technique used, it is then, when in my opinion it could be harmful.

When you observe somebody playing to a 2D game at hard mode, you can see, his fingers working pretty fast. But his torso is reacting little if at all to the game. When you observe how people play CS, you can observe how they are ducking to the side to look behind the corners of the walls. The player ducks behind 3D wall made out of a single polygon, with a triangle rasterized to have straight sides, and in nature, in infinite point perspective, rarely there are any straight lines observed.

1 hour ago, NikiTo said:

Rather, their bodies to learn how to use physics

For really use body's abilities you have to understand how forces and momentums works. It is imposible to do something like this without understanding forces and momenums.

1 hour ago, NikiTo said:

But when the game pretends to fake reality and fails in any technique used, it is then, when in my opinion it could be harmful.

Just fake reality is new technology so it is have many points of improvements. For comparsion aviation on same age has shifted to a playwood skins as improvement of fabric skins. Also, for many physic effects real-world sciense have no exactly answer how to compute it or how to obtain factors involved into computation.

or how obtain

3 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

For really use body's abilities you have to understand how forces and momentums works.

Not actually. Reflexes and autonomic nervous system are working at their own. Or you are going to tell me that a child that makes its first steps, can explain, inverse kinematics?

4 hours ago, NikiTo said:

Or you are going to tell me that a child that makes its first steps, can explain, inverse kinematics?

Brain is analogue system so uses set of PID regulators, calibrated for cost of  bruices and bumps, received as feedback to test direct muscle movements. It is enought for basic activity. But it not works for more coplex moves, that produced for cost of accumulated angular momentum of other body part for example. In this case you just can not get motion feedback, becouse you just  can not move without exactly knowledge what to do. For example sit down on chair, put your legs and torso vertically and hips horizontally. Now try to stand up without moving foots back, twist torso forward and touching by hands anything but yourself. It is imposible to do for cost of direct muscle forces. Curved step works similar. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement