Allegro Lives! Try it today!

Started by
18 comments, last by Edgar Reynaldo 5 years, 8 months ago

I might do a pi-test for Allegro when I have the chance. Mayhem-2 is rather impressive!  ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement
On 6/25/2018 at 2:42 PM, Edgar Reynaldo said:

Which manuals are you referring to?

Sorry, I thought tutorials not manuals they are fine, I mean this tutorial https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Windows,_Code::Blocks_and_Allegro_5

Probably some library name changed over time because last time when I was trying to use allegro with codeblocks I didnt find any library with name libzlibstatic, and I had problem to match compiler version with allegro build, I didnt find any info exactly which compiler was used to built allegro.

I think that there were other errors in this documentation but I didnt remember which. I will install allegro soon, so If I bump into something I will let you guys know.

@Valach

Sorry I didn't see your reply it was hidden underneath ads.

Tomasu's spam assassin nuked some pages I had made and I haven't recreated them yet, I've had other problems with the wiki too, but I should be able to edit again. I re-made most of that page a while ago. But the links at the top lead to empty wiki pages.

If your zlib is named differently, by all means pass a different name to the linker. Same goes for other libraries.

You can see my full compile guide for Allegro 5 on my website here :

http://members.allegro.cc/EdgarReynaldo/BuildA5.html

Then follow the setup for CB with the appropriate libraries and directories specified.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:18 AM, Chris Katko said:

Also, sidenote: Allegro5 has GREAT D-language bindings by one of the developers.

https://github.com/SiegeLord/DAllegro5

Definitely, use those over the "Derelict" ones, as they're maintained on a daily / current-to-mainline-patches basis. The Derelict ones are way behind.

As the maintainer of the Derelict packages, I second this! DerelictAllegro was never finalized as I had difficulty getting it to behave properly on OS X and didn't have the bandwidth to solve the problem. SiegeLord's binding just works. And although it has a link-time dependency (which the Derelict binding does not), the fact that it's actively maintained and up to date is a big win. I have enough on my hands with all the other Derelict packages and don't keep up with Allegro as much as I used to.

Wow, I haven't used Allegro since the 90's or so.  That's where I got my start in gamedev, DJGPP (which is also still around, yes, you can use C++17 on MSDOS) with Allegro.  I can just remember the utter frustration though.  I had no resources, no access to the internet, a 486 66MHz with a painfully, painfully slow 120meg hard drive and a quick reference guide for C that I was trying to use to learn the language.  Every day at school I'd go on the Allegro forums (or..  where was that?  This was before allegro.cc, I remember that site launching) and print off stuff to read at home.  I didn't make much progress, I think I got a basic tilemap going and Bowie from Shining Force walking around.

Then I got Linux and a bunch of books about that and there was much more stuff to learn there, and eventually I was using SDL on Linux.  I don't think I've ever looked at Allegro seriously since then, maybe I'll give it a go for a laugh.  Or hell, boot up DJGPP, Rhide and Allegro on MSDOS.  At least this time I'll know what I'm doing.

25 minutes ago, gaxio said:

Then I got Linux and a bunch of books about that and there was much more stuff to learn there, and eventually I was using SDL on Linux.  I don't think I've ever looked at Allegro seriously since then, maybe I'll give it a go for a laugh.  Or hell, boot up DJGPP, Rhide and Allegro on MSDOS.  At least this time I'll know what I'm doing.

Allegro 5 has changed significantly from Allegro 4. They are totally different libraries. They both do the same thing, but go about it in seriously different ways. Allegro 4 is no longer under development, so you'd be on your own if you wanted to do the DOS / Rhide / DJGPP thing. But AllegroGL is one of the only ways to get hardware accelerated graphics under DOS.

4 minutes ago, Edgar Reynaldo said:

Allegro 5 has changed significantly from Allegro 4. They are totally different libraries. They both do the same thing, but go about it in seriously different ways. Allegro 4 is no longer under development, so you'd be on your own if you wanted to do the DOS / Rhide / DJGPP thing. But AllegroGL is one of the only ways to get hardware accelerated graphics under DOS.

Allegro 4?  What's this new fancy-pants stuff you're talking about?  I think the last version of Allegro I used was Allegro 3.x in like...  1998.

22 hours ago, gaxio said:

Allegro 4?  What's this new fancy-pants stuff you're talking about?  I think the last version of Allegro I used was Allegro 3.x in like...  1998.

Blink and you miss a decade or two anymore these days....

Here is Allegro 4 described on the allegro wiki : https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Allegro_4

Here is the website for modern day Allegro 5 (and 4 as well) - https://liballeg.org/index.html

Allegro 3.X as you knew it developed into Allegro 4. Allegro 4.2 was the last version to support DOS. After that all the assembly was removed (or at least difficult to re-enable) and Allegro 4.4.2 was the last stable version of Allegro 4 that was released. Allegro 4.4 saw the integration of the separate AllegroGL library into a supported addon along with logg, loadpng, and jpegalleg. After that Allegro development moved to the unstable 4.9 branch, which was the precursor to Allegro 5 proper. It completely integrated OpenGL and DirectX into its library.

Modern day Allegro 5 supports DX and GL directly alongside allegro code. It provides hardware acclerated bitmap drawing, transformations, blenders, shaders, primitives, and support for vertex buffers and FBO. On the other side of allegro you get event driven input from keyboard, joystick, mouse, and touch API support. There is support for true type and bitmap font drawing, as well as multimedia support for bmp, jpg, png, tga, and support for more image formats. Supported video formats at this time are .ogv and audio supports .ogg and .wav.

Allegro's build system is cmake, and cmake-gui makes it super easy to configure and build allegro these days if you don't want to use pre-made binaries.

Welcome to 2018. Give allegro a try, it's fun! It's a cool breeze on a summer day... My binaries come with pre-built examples, demos, tests, and more. They're dynamically linked and the dlls are in a different directory, so run the script that comes with them to setup the proper environment to run the examples. Or just move the examples or dlls. I did this to save space in the archive.

Unoffical Allegro 5 binaries for Windows

Has anyone tried the example programs? There are 127 different example programs that come with my binary distribution. Some need the command line, but many are stand alone. Just download the binaries and run the RunA524Examples.bat file to setup the runtime environment. You'll be placed in the examples directory by default.

If I could get at least 3 different people to try allegro, that would be awesome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement