Google Play and Category Search Results

Started by
1 comment, last by Rutin 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm new to Video Game programming.

Hey, I noticed that general category searches for Google Play seem to only be returning approx 250 results.
If I enter "Chess", "Checkers" or "Solitaire" for example, I only get approx 250 results returned. This can't be right.

There should be thousands. Why is only a few ? Wht criteria does Google use to "Select" what the return ?
Is this the paid for marketing results ? Did someone pay, is that why there Chess program was in the 250 returned ?

Dont tell me there are only 250 Chess programs on Google Play. I know better. Did I do somthing wrong ? I did search on my PC
But it's the same results as Mobile or Tablet device. Right ?

This means that a general category search may not return everyones game, even if they are in compliance.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Allen Bipster said:

I'm new to Video Game programming.

Hey, I noticed that general category searches for Google Play seem to only be returning approx 250 results.
If I enter "Chess", "Checkers" or "Solitaire" for example, I only get approx 250 results returned. This can't be right.

There should be thousands. Why is only a few ? Wht criteria does Google use to "Select" what the return ?
Is this the paid for marketing results ? Did someone pay, is that why there Chess program was in the 250 returned ?

Dont tell me there are only 250 Chess programs on Google Play. I know better. Did I do somthing wrong ? I did search on my PC
But it's the same results as Mobile or Tablet device. Right ?

This means that a general category search may not return everyones game, even if they are in compliance.

There are many factors the determine if your app will show. Yes it's normal to show a limited amount of results.

Depending on your ranking your app will either show or not show within the limited results for the entered keyword. Popular keywords like 'chess' will be very competitive. You should not be depending on Google Play search as a means of marketing. I've released several apps, and every app was attached to a paid marketing campaign to generate traffic, and I did not depend on Google Play search.

There is a lot of discussion regarding the Google App Store algorithm so you can do some google searches. Personally, I just set up everything the best I could and diverted my time, energy, and money into marketing the app through other sources. Brand new apps are going to be at the bottom of the barrel anyhow for popular keywords.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement