• Advertisement
JackOfCandles

Having Difficulty Choosing Sound Effects

I'm at the point where I'm starting to add sound effects in my game. Sometimes it's easy, like a sword swinging having a "woosh" effect, but I'm having trouble with things that don't necessarily have a real world counterpart, such as collecting an upgrade. I suppose I could just go through a big list of sound effects until I find something that would sound good, but I feel like there has to be a more efficient way. When I need a visual graphic, I can visualize ideas in my head, or do some rough sketches on paper, but for sounds I can't do that. Are there perhaps some tricks for this kind of thing, or maybe a sort of "sound effect" glossary with words that describe different types of sound effects?

Advertisement

Is there a reason why you're handling the audio yourself? Are you trying to make your own game completely by yourself? Or are you wanting to learn more about sound design. I ask because if you're just wanting to get the game done - you'd benefit greatly from hiring a sound designer who can help bring your game/vision to life. Sound design for objects/events that are not in the real world is much harder, as you're learning and require a bit more R&D - trial and error. 

1. Try using a microphone to make sound effects with your mouth.  This is the quickest way for me to get something into the game for testing purposes.

2. Once you have a sound you like, now switch your brain to technical mode and try to make that sound better / recreate it with digital equipment.

Good luck!