Defining AAA

Started by
72 comments, last by Fulcrum.013 5 years, 9 months ago
41 minutes ago, Oberon_Command said:

The part that takes time is humans playtesting it and then deciding what the tweaks should be, if any, making the tweaks, then going back and playtesting it again to see if the tweaks made the game more fun.

I talking about something else. About data that needed to make a clother, destructions, collision response of trown items and tiny fragments  look realistic and so on. Also about automatic assgning accurate colliders to scene objects and so on. Generating low LODs and bump-mups for it from high-res geometry that is conceptually simplier to create using CADs, than using poligonal modeling tools. But its tools have a significant flaw for modern state of gamedev industry, and especially for big studios - it require to involve modellers with strong engineering background razer just a artist. For example to model a pistol fast, you have to undertstand real technology of pistols parts production, regardless is it pistol have real prototype or complete dummy. To model pistols handle it just require to draw couple curves - a shape of miling cutter and path by wich cutter have to go to make a handle curvatures, and so on for other parts. Othervice you can spend very long time trying to create realistic-look geometry. 

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

Advertisement
1 hour ago, JoeJ said:

except for things like characters likely

Industrial CADs just have no tools intended for it becouse it is not contributed into industrial modeling. But set of geometry core primitives capable to make specific tools on it, that can complete outclass a poligonal modeling tools. But again - using of its tools will require a strong anatomical background, or better say strong anatomical mind to model dummy creatures.

18 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

You speak very confidently about topics that you have no experience with. That is not a good trait.

11 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

You speak very confidently about topics that you have no experience with.

Why you think that i have no knowledge how geomeric core looks inside? Isntead i has spend last 2 years to reserch ways how to use  CADs set of primitives into gaming engine. By the way it has require to complete study how CAD geometrical core works inside and what and how can be done with CADs primitives.

5 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

Why you think that i have no knowledge how geomeric core looks inside? Isntead i has spend last 2 years to reserch ways how to use  CADs set of primitives into gaming engine. By the way it has require to complete study how CAD geometrical core works inside and what and how can be done with CADs primitives.

I meant about how AAA games are developed / the kind of processes they use for content creation / the kind of tools they use / their willingness to try new tools from other industries / etc...

For example, contrary to your assertions, characters aren't typically developed with polygonal modelling tools -- they're created with solid sculpting tools by people who are highly aware of anatomy. Clothing is often designed using the same tools that actual real life clothing designers use to design real clothes, by creating templates on 2D virtual cloth and stitching them together. The results of these are then exported into polygonal form for use by the game. Actual architects are hired to design game environments, using the CAD tools that they're trained in, and then export the results for game artists to use.

Basically, everything you've said about AAA is just stuff that you've made up... but you're not presenting these statements for what they are (your thoughts/assumptions), you're presenting them as facts... which in English, we call hubris.

@Fulcrum.013, I have a question for you. If the techniques you describe are so effective, why is no-one doing them? This industry isn't run by purist artist types who insist on doing things the old-fashioned way out of a love of the craft.

It's run by businessmen, who are out to turn a profit. 

If you can legitimately do what you're saying, go to EA or Activision or Bethesda or whoever. Show them what they're doing wrong and how you can save them millions of dollars. They aren't going to ignore you out of spite, or because they care about their employees. Those companies would fire their entire workforce tomorrow if they could. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
52 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

they're created with solid sculpting tools by people who are highly aware of anatomy.

Of cource i has seen how professional artist model a creature using sculpturing tools like Z-brush, than has add bones and animate it.. And it was not at youtube.But creature is not  sculpture. So looks like he just has done a triple work, so it have to be done by  conceptualy other way. 

54 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

Actual architects are hired to design game environments, using the CAD tools that they're trained in, and then export the results for game artists to use

Of course i has told with actual architectors. And thay mentioned that common enginering CADs perfect for generall machinery modeling but not a enought good tool for architect and especially interior design becouse make designer concerned on geometrical tricks instead of actual design, but tools that pretent to be professional architect and interior design tools not a tools at all. A i completely agree with them after has model couple of buildings.

1 hour ago, Hodgman said:

The results of these are then exported into polygonal form for use by the game.

It is point from wich i has start. Exporting to poligonal form is a better way to make a triple work in level and other design.

2 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

If you can legitimately do what you're saying, go to EA or Activision or Bethesda or whoever.

I has researched all of it for my own purposes.

2 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

Show them what they're doing wrong and how you can save them millions of dollars.

How we says here it is "a deep purple for me" (that mean i have no any care) what thay do wrong, or ever what thay do and what thay not do. I concentrated on what i am have to do to get results that i want to have. Really i to buzzy now on implementation of infrastructural code that required  to implement geometrical core, and then tools and engine that i need, to take care about anything else.  

1 hour ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

Of cource i has seen how professional artist model a creature using sculpturing tools like Z-brush, than has add bones and animate it.. And it was not at youtube.But creature is not  sculpture. So looks like he just has done a triple work, so it have to be done by  conceptualy other way.

I'm having a hard time following where you're going with all of this... I don't know anyone that would use CAD for organic models in AAA development... I have friends that work in the industry professionally, and I myself work as a 3D artist on the side as I'm primarily a programmer. We sculpt our organic models, then depending on what role the model will play in development such as a non-animated creature, or a prop, ect... we will either use an auto retopology method or manually do it to create a low poly version, then rig, animate, uv map, texture, and use high versions for baking. Nobody is going to use CAD for this, and in one magical step have a game ready model.... and if it was the "optimal" way that would save production time, then everyone would be doing it to cut down on costs and release projects faster to generate revenue quicker.

Like I stated in the other thread when you suggested using CAD was the better way for a person's VR game than poly modeling, show us the work flow and how we can create all these assets in a game ready format in which the engine can use just as efficiently. I'm very curious to know because if I can save time creating assets with no draw back from my current method, I'm ready.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Just now, Rutin said:

I don't know anyone that would use CAD for organic models in AAA development..

I not talking about using existing CADs intended for common machinery. Obviously it is not intended to creature modeling, excluding armored characters that better fit to robotics category instead organics. I talking that  core geometrical functionality can be used to create tools that models creatures by concept how muscles growth under skin and fur.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement