Unity dropping Monodevelop a let down for small indie?

Started by
44 comments, last by mr_tawan 5 years, 9 months ago

Well, I never knew there even was a proper Mac-native version of Visual Studio! Interesting. 

Advertisement
6 hours ago, d000hg said:

Though XCode seems like it would be really good IF I put the time into learning it.

Strictly speaking regarding the Unity3D workflow options (and if you are not doing any Apple-native implementation that requires Obj-C/Swift) the only knowledge you really need to have about Xcode is the building/packaging/signing/uploading stuff.  Everything else could be VS.

Just now, Arctous said:

Strictly speaking regarding the Unity3D workflow options (and if you are not doing any Apple-native implementation that requires Obj-C/Swift) the only knowledge you really need to have about Xcode is the building/packaging/signing/uploading stuff.  Everything else could be VS.

Yeah that's how my old Ogre3D project used to work for Mac/iOS builds. Get the code from source control, make an XCode project, spend hours and hours figuring out how to get the libraries working, then just set up the various icons/images and build. But XCode's autocomplete for C++ seemed pretty good.

45 minutes ago, d000hg said:

... make an XCode project, spend hours and hours figuring out how to get the libraries working, then just set up the various icons/images and build. 

Happily, Unity3D has taken the majority of those headaches away, as well.  The Xcode project is complete, including icons/images (both of which are configured inside of Unity3D) and libraries (added during the development process inside of Unity3D).  Unity has been doing a good job of keeping up with the Xcode/AppStore requirements.  I've only run into a couple of issues with the Unity3D->Xcode workflow over the years, but those turned out to be incompatible or poorly implemented assets from the Unity Asset Store (HockeyApp plugins come to mind).

10 hours ago, d000hg said:

Well, I never knew there even was a proper Mac-native version of Visual Studio! Interesting. 

If I'm not mistaken, basically it's a rebranding from MonoDevelop which is released after Microsoft acquire Xamarin.

http://9tawan.net/en/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement