Closed

Started by
10 comments, last by Promit 5 years, 9 months ago

I am closing this posting due to unfortunate events involving a musician who has submitted unoriginal work that would have put me at risk for a lawsuit for violating IP rights if I were to publish it with my title. Furthermore the musician, unhappy with the resolution after a discussion in private decided to make this a public issue, something I find unprofessional. 

You can listen to both tracks here: https://www.wildorigin.online/want-it-right-do-it-yourself/

I find it disturbing that someone would give me unoriginal work and then, later publicly attack my credibility.

It will always be part of my personal morals and ethics to #1 only use original work that does not infringe on the IP rights of the original creator, and #2 to handle internal disputes privately as a professional in the industry.

Given the current circumstances and breach of trust, I have decided to close the thread, and will not be seeking assistance in the form of music or sounds in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement

Hi, this is interesting! I've PM'd you details

Hello Jigglbizz,

Thank you for the pm, I look forward to speaking with you! 

Respectfully,

- Cody

Hi Cody,

This sounds fun! I've had a great deal of experience with con0licated chiptune compositions, take a listen at one I made for a Pokémon RPG online; 

https://youtu.be/9y6kpSvcQWY

Let me know what you think as I'm always interested to get involved :)

Ethan 

On 7/13/2018 at 1:31 AM, Ethan Walker said:

Hi Cody,

This sounds fun! I've had a great deal of experience with con0licated chiptune compositions, take a listen at one I made for a Pokémon RPG online; 

https://youtu.be/9y6kpSvcQWY

Let me know what you think as I'm always interested to get involved :)

Ethan 

Ethan, my apologies for the late reply, didn't get the email notification for the reply on this. I will send you a PM shortly.

Respectfully,

Cody

Hi Cody,

I've sent you a PM! 

All the best,

Chris

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that I wrote a track for Cody, and he decided it ripped off of a track from a different game's OST. Upon listening to both tracks, one of the synthesizers is similar, and the structure is similar as well (low energy->mid energy->low energy->high energy). But the overall feel, rhythm, tempo, song length, chords, melody, etc. are all completely and uniquely different. My work was all played by my own hands on my MIDI keyboard, and my sounds all created from scratch in Massive, or using Kontakt sample libraries that I purchased.

He accused me of stealing or remixing the work of an established composer, and has blocked me on Discord immediately before I could reply. I sent examples of other songs and synthesizer demos that feature similar sounds to try and prove that the sounds I had chosen were fairly common for the genre, or common in general. I offered to change the work to make the sounds less similar, as I was not aware of the similarity beforehand, and he expressed that he was not interested.

It is a shame because I was feeling very positively about contributing to this project (for free!), and now I feel taken advantage of and shamed. I worked hard on what I produced and now I feel that it's been drug through the dirt. I'm not sure what to do, besides for warning others before they hand off something they're proud of. I caution you on spending your time on this project.

Your website says this about the project:

Wild Origin is a non-combat, puzzle, exploration game(s) Concept with over 13 years in development with hundreds of already developed assets. With all components of the game (Art, Music, Programming, Animations, etc.) being created by only one person.

I'm confused. "All components of the game" cannot be created by only one person if you're hiring a composer to do the music?

20 hours ago, Chris Schmidt said:

Your website says this about the project:

Wild Origin is a non-combat, puzzle, exploration game(s) Concept with over 13 years in development with hundreds of already developed assets. With all components of the game (Art, Music, Programming, Animations, etc.) being created by only one person.

I'm confused. "All components of the game" cannot be created by only one person if you're hiring a composer to do the music?

You are correct Chris, unfortunately, due to recent events I had planned to close this thread. If you are curious about the event you can read that here: https://www.wildorigin.online/want-it-right-do-it-yourself/ . I had made the modification to the website very late last night and ended up falling asleep before getting to this thread to make the update.

I will still be closing this thread, however, and do appreciate you posting with your question.

One of the other reasons for the delay in closing is the fact that the musician decided to make the private issue, public which now makes the response and closing more complicated as I had NOT planned on mentioning him publicly. 

I do not find it professional to name names in disputes or go about in public community space to hash out unresolved issues. So I am in the middle of crafting a professional response appropriate to the event.

22 hours ago, jigglebizz said:

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that I wrote a track for Cody, and he decided it ripped off of a track from a different game's OST. Upon listening to both tracks, one of the synthesizers is similar, and the structure is similar as well (low energy->mid energy->low energy->high energy). But the overall feel, rhythm, tempo, song length, chords, melody, etc. are all completely and uniquely different. My work was all played by my own hands on my MIDI keyboard, and my sounds all created from scratch in Massive, or using Kontakt sample libraries that I purchased.

He accused me of stealing or remixing the work of an established composer, and has blocked me on Discord immediately before I could reply. I sent examples of other songs and synthesizer demos that feature similar sounds to try and prove that the sounds I had chosen were fairly common for the genre, or common in general. I offered to change the work to make the sounds less similar, as I was not aware of the similarity beforehand, and he expressed that he was not interested.

It is a shame because I was feeling very positively about contributing to this project (for free!), and now I feel taken advantage of and shamed. I worked hard on what I produced and now I feel that it's been drug through the dirt. I'm not sure what to do, besides for warning others before they hand off something they're proud of. I caution you on spending your time on this project.

@jigglebizz It is my recommendation that we take this to private email or message if you would care to discuss this further. Public forum is not the place for internal disputes, and looks poorly for both of us.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement