• Advertisement

Posted (edited)

Games often highlight collectibles with halos or in the case of Wolfenstein with a cycling white stripe.  Its hard to see here with a still image but picture the white stripe moving across the object texture. I assume its done in the collectible's shader code and perhaps its much more simple than I thought but am I on the right track here?

(images from "Wolfenstein New Colossus")

collectible_highlight2.PNG.0fcabb1fde26bc8a31c4ae4f41e3f7c1.PNGcollectible_highlight.PNG.a52fec10dc85204b5ac41ed6aeb7f036.PNG

Edited by GameEngineer_gi

Advertisement

Yes, this is done in a shader.  This can be one in any number of ways, but I've done something similar by testing the fragment's world position against a value and calculating a color to mix in the with sampled texture.  All you need to do at that point is to sweep the position you're comparing to over the object over a number of frames.

To know how exactly it's done in any particular game or how it could be done in your game, more information would need to be known.