Where can I find the source code for "Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX"?

Started by
44 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 9 months ago
1 minute ago, rjhwinner03 said:

Well, It would be cheating on a lower level...

I do want to make a RTS game, but I want something to fall back on....

You do have something to fall back on... a framework/engine that took many experts years to develop and fine tune. You say that you have been programming for several years, but ask yourself what you have to show for it. You're going to always be spinning your wheels trying to develop something that will not get completed. Save your time/sanity and just use an existing engine and focus on the game you want to develop.

Advertisement

I do not like the programmable pipeline. I think it is stupid that you have to actually program a new shader and define all of that junk just to have a SQUARE on the screen. I feel it is utterly stupid.

2 minutes ago, AtomicWinter said:

You do have something to fall back on... a framework/engine that took many experts years to develop and fine tune. You say that you have been programming for several years, but ask yourself what you have to show for it. You're going to always be spinning your wheels trying to develop something that will not get completed. Save your time/sanity and just use an existing engine and focus on the game you want to develop.

Ok then, which one, might I ask, would you think is better for making a FPS game? 

19 minutes ago, rjhwinner03 said:

You are not understanding my point here... I do not like using Unreal Engine or Unity because I feel like it is cheating because I am using an engine created by someone else...

I have news.....You didn't create whatever FPS code you are trying to use.  You didn't create Direct X. You didn't invent the programming language you will use, nor did you write the compiler.  You didn't build the computer you are programming on, and you didn't design the CPU or the GPU.....I could go on .......You are gong to use other people's work no matter what.  It's only a matter of degree.

We used to call this NIH , Not Invented Here. It's silly given that you are never going to invent everything you will use.

Ok. I will use Unreal Engine... I am just going to trash the programming project due to it being out of date, but I will keep up the heavy development of my RTS game.

4 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

I have news.....You didn't create whatever FPS code you are trying to use. 

As I have said time and time again, I wanted to test to see if the code would work...

16 minutes ago, rjhwinner03 said:

I do not like the programmable pipeline. I think it is stupid that you have to actually program a new shader and define all of that junk just to have a SQUARE on the screen. I feel it is utterly stupid.

Mmm... dat's what premade engines are for. 

Lol, technically I build engines from scratch myself for games but I leverage fairly high-level graphics apis that save a lot of time. I don't have to program hue rotations or brightness shifts or calculate most transforms, I just say `hue-rotate(40%)` and the api gets the job done. 
Technically I use C/C++ code as well, but only through libraries and api's that provide higher-level access to most things. It doesn't provide the same control as programming everything from scratch but it provides _enough_ control.

What APIs do you use?

26 minutes ago, rjhwinner03 said:

Then stay far away from engine programming. I've spent most of my years programming engines and tool-kits, and if you think that doing this all from scratch is going to be less code than using an existing engine, you're sadly mistaken. You can only copy and paste code from books and tutorials for so long... and all of your skills are not even marketable because without those 3rd party resources you're essentially programming with a handicap that no team or employer would want.

What you're looking to do is have all the control at a low level with zero of the work which doesn't exist.

Regarding "shaders"... I would suggest using PBR:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/intermediate/graphics/substance/01-02-working-with-pbr-in-unity

It really cannot get any simpler... Reinventing the wheel without good reason doesn't make sense, and without experience you'll be wasting time you could spend actually making a game.

There are lot of videos and resources online regarding shaders in both engines.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement