Where can I find the source code for "Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX"?

Started by
44 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 9 months ago

Meh, I was on the edge but I'd say I was still on topic. He mentioned that these were the languages he's learned:

Languages

Java Late 2014

Python Mid 2014

C++ Late 2015

HTML Mid 2017

Javascript Mid 2017

so html5 is on the list (it's not like i was suggesting he move to something he doesn't know at all) 
He also mentioned that he didn't want to waste time on dx11 shaders (which suggests that c++ is probably not the language for him if he doesn't get a thrill from spending time on things like that) 
and was thinking of sticking with dx9 as a result as well as a very old compiler (partially from another post of his) despite everyone telling him not to in order to stick with something he sort of knows.
I offered an alternative, a switch from windows tech to something more crossplatform, namely openGL (or in HTML5 case, the pared down WebGL version of it). Considering that dx11 is already not the latest version (dx12 anyone?)  maybe it's time for him to consider a switch b4 the latest Windows version renders whatever he's working on obsolete again thanks to planned obsolescence. 

I can't imagine any good reason for someone to fiddle around with dx9. If he really wants to make a game then he needs to switch. As far as what to switch to, I don't think he'd regret HTML5. I stand by my previous post. 

Advertisement
51 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

(which suggests that c++ is probably not the language for him if he doesn't get a thrill from spending time on things like that) 

For all we know based on the 100 projects and quitting every project within a few weeks the OP doesn't even get a thrill from any form of programming.

51 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

I offered an alternative, a switch from windows tech to something more crossplatform, namely openGL (or in HTML5 case, the pared down WebGL version of it).

There is nothing wrong with offering advice to switch from platform to platform but the problem is you're stating this:

10 hours ago, SkyPenguin said:

just switch to javascript and webGL to save yerself a few years of headache - my 2 cents. all windows languages/compilers/source code/philosophies are inherently evil, error-prone and time consuming. 

I've been programming in C++ for 18 years now as my main language and I've used countless languages as well. This "error" prone you're talking about is usually related to people who are making the mistakes themselves, not the language itself unless there is an underlying issue with the IDE/Compiler causing problems. I also have no idea what "headache" and how the code is "evil". We're in 2018 right now and Visual Studio is an amazing IDE for C++ programmers. Like @CrazyCdn stated, C++ isn't a windows language.... I'm not sure on your experience using C++ @SkyPenguin but C++ is a compiled language, not interpreted. C++ is used on a variety of operating systems.

You do also realize that JavaScript itself has a ton of source code floating around that is buggy beyond belief due to horrible programming. I've had clients reach out to my business to re-do their website applications and scripts because of the horrid coding that was done, and the massive bugs.

If you're a poor programmer, using JavaScript isn't going to fix that problem.

52 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

maybe it's time for him to consider a switch b4 the latest Windows version renders whatever he's working on obsolete again thanks to planned obsolescence. 

The problem is that the OP is stuck in this mindset, and no amount of advice from anyone here will matter. It's very clear how engagement is only made towards making the code in the "book" work, not actually doing what makes sense.

53 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

If he really wants to make a game then he needs to switch.

If the OP really wants to make a game then that person needs a realistic approach, not just picking up whatever language and going straight for an RTS and online FPS game. Until the OP addresses the problem in being unable to work on a project past a few weeks, nothing will change in terms of progression.

54 minutes ago, SkyPenguin said:

I stand by my previous post. 

That is fine, but people will call you out on your prior post.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I realize c++ isn't a windows language, but a lot of folks were suggesting he move to unity where it's highly likely he'll have to pick up C#.

I also realize C++ is a compiled language, never said it wasn't. Though technically it doesn't have to be fully compiled.

If a lvl1 C++ programmer has studied the language for an hour, and a lvl 10 has been programming professionally for 10+ years... I'm like a lvl 3. Gave it up after Wasm turned out to be less than the hype.

Also worth noting that a lot of bugs in JS code come from trying to support old windows products like IE8 that inexplicably haven't been retired.

I do not want to use a game engine. I cannot find any tutorials that will demonstrate how to do anything worth doing in Unreal Engine or Unity. 

1 hour ago, rjhwinner03 said:

I do not want to use a game engine. I cannot find any tutorials that will demonstrate how to do anything worth doing in Unreal Engine or Unity. 

I think you're a going for worlds worst excuse with this statement.  My 7 year old cousin taught himself Unity in a couple weeks using online tutorials and had asteroids working (granted with 7 year old art or stuff he found online) in that time period.  It was nothing to write home about, but it was playable.  There are literally thousands of tutorials for Unity online, unity3d.com has some good ones from the looks of things: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/space-shooter-tutorial

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

You are not understanding my point here... I do not like using Unreal Engine or Unity because I feel like it is cheating because I am using an engine created by someone else...

3 hours ago, SkyPenguin said:

I realize c++ isn't a windows language, but a lot of folks were suggesting he move to unity where it's highly likely he'll have to pick up C#.

C# is not Windows only either.

1 hour ago, rjhwinner03 said:

The Internet is inundated with Unreal Engine and Unity tutorials, from basic to advanced. I believe the main problem is, and I mean this with all due respect, is you just want to copy and paste other people code instead of taking the time to actually learn the programming patterns, logic, concepts, etc. You need to take a step back and really understand the core concepts.

:(

1 minute ago, AtomicWinter said:

The Internet is inundated with Unreal Engine and Unity tutorials, from basic to advanced. I believe the main problem is, and I mean this with all due respect, is you just want to copy and paste other people code instead of taking the time to actually learn the programming patterns, logic, concepts, etc. You need to take a step back and really understand the core concepts.

:(

2 minutes ago, AtomicWinter said:

Well, your halfway right... 

I was just going to the end of the book to see if the code works.... 

10 minutes ago, rjhwinner03 said:

You are not understanding my point here... I do not like using Unreal Engine or Unity because I feel like it is cheating because I am using an engine created by someone else...

What is your ultimate goal? If it's to make a game/RTS then why do you care? With that logic then why use an operating system? Just develop your own... afterall, using an existing operating system would be cheating. Using an existing IDE would be cheating. Buying a lambo would be cheating; create your own car from the ground up. Buying ground chuck would be cheating; slaughter your own cow.

Just now, AtomicWinter said:

What is your ultimate goal? If it's to make an game/RTS then why do you care? With that logic then why use an operating system? Just develop your own... afterall, using an existing operating system would be cheating. Using an existing IDE would be cheating. Buying a lambo would be cheating; create your own car from the ground up. Buying ground chuck would be cheating; slaughter your own cow.

Well, It would be cheating on a lower level...

I do want to make a RTS game, but I want something to fall back on....

The whole reason I wanted to make a FPS game is because I was "inspired" by Goldeneye 007. I have done a lot of searching and have not been able to find any trace of source code for the game, so that is closed source. The closest I ever got to making a game like Goldeneye is I had a gun that would follow the same ViewMatrix as the camera would in the OpenGL fixed function pipeline.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement