Next Steps for a Prospective Gameplay Programmer

Started by
2 comments, last by VibrantC 5 years, 9 months ago

Hi everyone!

My name is Carol and I'm nearing graduation with a BS in Game Programming and Development. The next step toward my degree involves reaching out to the gamedev community to get advice toward my chosen career path within the industry. I'm very interested in gameplay programming, because that role seems to deal the most heavily with the actual mechanics of games. Some questions I have for the community are:

I know that it is necessary in this industry to build a portfolio that shows off your work, I have begun to do this, but since blocks of code don't really have the desired effect, I'd be interested to learn some techniques that have worked for others in showing off programming ability in their portfolio.

What resources, if any, are available for continuing to hone necessary skills such as linear algebra and c++?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Advertisement

normally you get to do a work exam if you apply for a game job. I have no portfolio to show and to be honest I don't know many programmers that have portfolios. it´s kinda strange out of an employer perspective to desire a portfolio for programmers in my opinion. Anyone could have stolen the code or fixed it with help of others. But a work exam is different, that way one can actually determine your skills.

"There will be major features. none to be thought of yet"
1 hour ago, fleabay said:

This is a course requirement? Your question that I have quoted seems uninspired.

I'm sorry, I don't entirely understand your comment. I know that my skills in the math required for game programming are not my strongest point, and so I am legitimately asking if anyone here knows of good resources for developing that skill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement