Football Manager Databass

Started by
11 comments, last by Alberth 5 years, 9 months ago

Hi All

I was just wondering is any one knows what database is used in Football manager 2018 

Thanks

Advertisement

How does that matter? All data bases are accessed in pretty much the same way, you don't even need to know what's inside.

Anyway, the game may not even have a real data base, it could be just a large set of files (tables) that are loaded when needed or so.

5 hours ago, Razor05 said:

Hi All

I was just wondering is any one knows what database is used in Football manager 2018 

Thanks

If you're making such a game it doesn't matter what someone else is using to store data, all the matters if the method that you're using accomplishes the end goal.

You can use something like phpMyAdmin with MySQL to setup your databases, and connect to them through your game, or you can simply use spreadsheets to store data then read and write them into your game, or some other system.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I am just interested in what games like this use. I do have a project in mind that is similar and I have been looking at SQLite as I want the DB to be local  

3 minutes ago, Razor05 said:

I am just interested in what games like this use. I do have a project in mind that is similar and I have been looking at SQLite as I want the DB to be local  

I would suggest you look for the best tool for the job, not what (x) game uses. If SQLite works for your project, then go for it. :)

Programmer and 3D Artist

I know i dont need to know what they use. I would like to know. I need to try and work out how big a db i will need as there are restrictions. 

10 minutes ago, Razor05 said:

I need to try and work out how big a db i will need as there are restrictions. 

I am a bit confused by this. Wouldn't the restrictions be based on what service provider you use etc. I mean if need be a data base can be made very small, but if you have lots of money you can go as big as you want.

Normally when I make a game, the database is decided by the limits and what is needed.

Data bases is also very small in my experience, because it is just keeping record; there isn't need to store large data types in a database for games.

As a example a game tracking player names and score is often less than a single MB.

13 minutes ago, Razor05 said:

I know i dont need to know what they use. I would like to know. I need to try and work out how big a db i will need as there are restrictions. 

I've worked on such games before, what limitations are you dealing with?

You can view the limitations in greater detail for SQLite:

https://www.sqlite.org/limits.html

Programmer and 3D Artist

3 hours ago, Rutin said:

I've worked on such games before, what limitations are you dealing with?

You can view the limitations in greater detail for SQLite:

https://www.sqlite.org/limits.html

Im concerned with the over all size off the db as SQLite stores the entire db in one file. However it has just acred to me, could i have more than one db in an application? 

4 hours ago, Razor05 said:

Im concerned with the over all size off the db as SQLite stores the entire db in one file. However it has just acred to me, could i have more than one db in an application? 

Yes you can have more than one database in a single app, and you can also open more than one database at a time.

I honestly don't see any reason in doing so for this kind of game and you should be using multiple tables with one database. I also don't think you're going to run into any issues with file sizes considering you can use APK Expansion Files if you're deploying through Andriod.

You can also look into APK Expansion Files as they allow up to 2GB per file after the initial 100 MB file.

https://developer.android.com/google/play/expansion-files

If you're using iOS then you also have a high limit already, I think it's up to 4GB.

Depending on how you handle these apps, you can also download extra data after the install as long as the storage space is sufficient and the access rights are set and allowed. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have to, but you could put in a bare-bones database which is empty, then when the app launches for the first time it connects to a server with the "template" and copies it in, and also download additional asset files if needed. You really don't need to worry about this with such high limits anyhow for such a game.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement