Random Room Generation?

Started by
3 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 5 years, 9 months ago

Hello Everyone,

So I have built a few basic games both in C++ and in Unreal, but am wanting to do something different. I absolutely love rogue-like games like Binding of Isaac. So for this next game, I wanted to try to build a game like Binding of Isaac in Unreal. I believe I understand how to do a large portion of the UI, Gameplay, Camera, etc. The part I am struggling with is the world generation. I have found a few resources regarding this topic, but I am not sure how to fully implement due to the lack of resources addressing this topic. 

I have a few questions:

Is it better to build off of a Perlin noise type algorithm or are there simpler models to do this with?

What algorithms currently exist to make sure the rooms fit together well without overlap on a generation?

Should the rooms be built as blueprint segments or be built in real time using code?

Lastly, are there any great resources out there that I may have missed regarding random room generation in Unreal?

Thank you guys for your time!

Jeremy Castellano / Web Developer / Aspiring Game Developer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

-Albert Einstein

Advertisement

Not sure about the room stuff but I've done planet building with noise. I use simplex noise which is not really that hard to implement. I even have an HLSL version.  I'll probably have to dig into the random room and building stuff at some point myself, just to fill out my planets, but I'm still working on the terrain generation so I don't have the time at the moment.

You might find some inspiration from looking into how Spelunky did things:

http://tinysubversions.com/spelunkyGen/

Often, lots of parts are created manually, with possible modifications/variations to them included in the dataset. Generating the entire room/dungeon/whatever then consists of picking between the manually created parts and potentially modifying them based on various rules. This is a lot easier to tweak and design for than having everything being purely created via rule sets, etc.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Unreal has the Blueprint system that was made for this.

You can build small rooms by hand, place walls and pathways inside blueprints. Then you only need to select a compatible blueprint randomly from the list. Every room can be filled with random content in the same way.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Castellano said:

that I may have missed regarding random room generation in Unreal?

I would recommend you look outside of Unreal tutorials etc. The internet is full of random level generation content, just not for Unreal. If you know Unreal well enough it should be possible for you to translate procedural generation from other kinds of tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement