What happened to Indie Game Jam?

Started by
3 comments, last by M-Ody 5 years, 8 months ago

Rambling around the web I came - once again - across the Indie Game Jam, the one some people say was the first one.
Seems like there were only 3 editions, but the whole concept of the jam was a lot different from the ones I usually participate:

The engine was crafted beforehand by the organization team. The source code for the games was released. Seems like the themes were thought to push the boundaries in a technical sense too.

I don't have anything against the current game jam system, but I think this old model of constraining people in the same software and technical requirement could be really cool too.

Do someone know if a jam like this still exists?

P.S.: I don't really know if I'm in the correct section for this question. 

Advertisement
1 hour ago, M-Ody said:

Do someone know if a jam like this still exists?

I like to browse engines and one of the things I have seen is that some engines will make a jam like this, to boost it's popularity. Unfortunately these jams only happen once or twice before the engine gives up on it. Maybe if you hunt around for some newly formed engines.

I think it is too much work for little reward for the hosts.

If you want to participate in a long lasting Game Jam, you have to look for ones that have funding like the Global Jam. The problem is that these get funding from more than one large engine, as such there is no engine restrictions.

1 hour ago, M-Ody said:

P.S.: I don't really know if I'm in the correct section for this question. 

You weren't (not everything in game development is "Game Design"). But you are now.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

10 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I like to browse engines and one of the things I have seen is that some engines will make a jam like this, to boost it's popularity. Unfortunately these jams only happen once or twice before the engine gives up on it. Maybe if you hunt around for some newly formed engines.

I think it is too much work for little reward for the hosts.

If you want to participate in a long lasting Game Jam, you have to look for ones that have funding like the Global Jam. The problem is that these get funding from more than one large engine, as such there is no engine restrictions.

That's true, but still isn't quite the same as what Indie GJ was. 
I think that jams with engines restrictions could bring a whole new challenge, but that's probably because I'm a programmer.
A jam specific engine would also level the teams, as no one would know it beforehand or have a ton of pre-made scripts in the cloud.
I will actually propose it to my friends haha

10 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

You weren't (not everything in game development is "Game Design"). But you are now.

I apologize, and thanks btw!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement