Do you still play video games?

Started by
26 comments, last by Robert Rise 5 years, 5 months ago

It's always nice to see what other devs have cooked hehe! 

Advertisement

I usually play game 1-2 hours everyday. However, I stopped making games for a few years already.

That makes me disqualified right :D.

http://9tawan.net/en/

I want to admit that for me playing video games was relative to learning game development..  

When i lacked understanding how the games were made, i enjoyed them more, and little by little i started noticing patterns.

Now i play much less, i feel like the  enjoyment in video games is directed by the level of fantasizing and letting go into the world of that game.  Now i play games just to learn certain ideas for my own development. I guess that's why it is rare to see something unique system wise. Games are driven by the design and the story now more than new leveling system or other systems. 

Staying strong as much as i'm working in a casual game development company, as a QA, i get to play lots of other games outside the company during the work hours. We gather round and share some new picks from new and the old times and it's fun. Life itself is a game i love to play too, i feel like if you stop playing games, life also becomes kinda dull. We are here to play, video games or real life games :) enjoy!

I still do play video games especially games on Nintendo Switch. 

On Hiatus this month. Will be taking a brief vacation from work. Got my F-150 working again so I bought a few items including fuel wheels to use for the road trip.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:55 AM, nikko1017 said:

Yep, nintendo switch is quite relaxing even if you're dying a lot, it's hard to take it serious imho, i tend to have hard feelings over the PC games.

That said, to this day I enjoy video games, never stopped and maybe never will. I meet more people like me and have most wonderful conversations online than with going outside. I feel as if people only talk about general stuff outside, and online you meet their "inner" selves. 

I do play the games, i am just more picky about what i buy or play, as the time goes i started value my time more, so usually i'll play something really innovative

No more nostalgia binge playing. I find playing games useful if you balance it out like a diet, don't let your brains be stale

On 8/29/2018 at 7:55 AM, nikko1017 said:

What are you up to lately in the switch? I picked it up last month, googled a few top games to buy, now it's uncomparable to when i used to play games on my way to some place on a phone.

On the topic, learning to code opened up new horizons for me as a gamer, i can now observe the beautiful design 

12 hours ago, Strade said:

What are you up to lately in the switch? I picked it up last month, googled a few top games to buy, now it's uncomparable to when i used to play games on my way to some place on a phone.

On the topic, learning to code opened up new horizons for me as a gamer, i can now observe the beautiful design 

I'm playing Bayonetta 2 and Mario Odyssey alternately or whatever my mood is. I'm planning to pick up a copy of Street Fighter 30th anniversary and Metal Slug that is available on the eShop. I can't say that I would be able to enjoy the local multiplayer since I don't have anyone to play it with. 

On Hiatus this month. Will be taking a brief vacation from work. Got my F-150 working again so I bought a few items including fuel wheels to use for the road trip.

Rarely. I have been revisiting Soul Calibur II a bit lately, and VI looks really great. I also really think the new Assassin's Creed would be relevant to my interests as I love the historical settings of both games. Despite that, I don't think I'll actually get either.

My reasoning is two-fold:

1. At 80$ a pop, in an economy where splurging can be a grave mistake, I find it hard to justify purchasing new games, and used is bad for the industry; it's like not buying the game at all and putting money in someone else's pocket instead.

2. To me, in my adult life, the time investment of most modern games is better spent elsewhere.

Perhaps I shouldn't admit that second point for professional reasons. 

But when I was a kid, I spent a stupid amount of time playing video games. Then, when I took up the guitar, I spent 16 hours a day on that instead and didn't touch a game for 5 years. The guitar gave me this experience of something to become good at that would yield rewards that didn't go away when I turned off a screen. It allowed me to create something of my own instead of just being immersed in someone else's creation and world that, at the end of the day, is a consumer product whose goal is to make money; at least from the publisher's perspective. 

When Street Fighter 4 came out, I got stupid good at it, but forced myself to quit when I realized this was an escape from my depression at the time regarding my music studies and pursuits, because Street Fighter is comparatively easy, and it was more fun to write music for games than play them, anyway.

I think that's why most people I know in the business play fewer games aside from time — we'd rather be creating something we can be proud of and call our own.

TL;DR: Not that often.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement