New Vlog Series - offering free advice, input and thoughts on life as a working composer/sound designer

Started by
61 comments, last by nsmadsen 1 year, 10 months ago

In the first episode of Madsen's Musing, I discuss the issue of being too self critical about your work and how that can get in the way of your progress.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

You offer a lot of insight in this Vlog! I'll admit that I'm sometimes hyper critical of my work, but it seems to be more prevalent when I've got friends and family checking out my music. Mind you, they typically don't have anything to offer as far as feedback is concerned, but I immediately hear something that makes me second guess my work.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. There's more coming out too. I hope to release one weekly but you never know with life and such. It might be every two weeks here and there. :)

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Episode 2 is now out! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

And here's episode 3: Having A System. In this episode I talk about how a system set up for giving me the best odds, when I'm freelancing, when I'm networking when I'm practicing. 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

On 7/27/2018 at 7:12 AM, nsmadsen said:

In the first episode of Madsen's Musing, I discuss the issue of being too self critical about your work and how that can get in the way of your progress.

There were lot of good points for example the seeing only the finished product. Carry on!

www.laurikoivisto.com

Thanks!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Episode 4 is now out! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

By the way - if you have any thoughts or specific questions you'd like for me to cover - just ask! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I guess one question I've been curious about is this: Making music for me right now is a hobby, but I begin to think about how great it would be to get some of my tracks into a game, or perhaps to one day make an entire soundtrack for a game. Do you have any advice for people who are just starting out or who might decide to venture down this path?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for your Vlog episodes! I'm really enjoying them!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement