Should I depart from my game project group?

Started by
11 comments, last by EmmersionStudios 5 years, 8 months ago

Just write a clear email to the manager about what needs to change in order for you to want to stay. It's a hobby project and you should like to work with it, otherwise something is seriously wrong.

If it doesnt change (quickly), leave the project and let them know why. There is many other projects that would appriciate you and give you more feedback (which makes you develop and learn much faster).

Dont be "loyal" to disrespectful and disinterested people, it's not fair to yourself.

Advertisement

Disclaimer: I'm a project manager, we operate on Rev Share, and I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

Some things I think that can help is:

1. Determine if there is a clear vision for the future with the project/company.
  2. Figure out if the leaser is treating this studio like a business.
  3. Has there been proper paperwork, documentation, or contracts during the course of development?
  4. If communication is not there, the project will fail.
  5. If one person is not contributing, that person becomes the weak link...
  6. ...if the weak link is the leader the project will fail.
  7. If the lead doesn't treat you with respect, the project will fail.

95% of all rev share projects fail within the first 6 months. 4% will fail to launch out of production. 0.9% will launch and then fail. And only 0.1% will be successful. That's the odds any indie developer deals with, and they suck. We do this for two reasons: 1) we believe in what we're doing and have passion in it, and 2) we hope to make this into a career. If these are your goals, I'm sorry to say, but I think you're in the wrong place right now.

Hope my limited knowledge and insights helped!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement