Should I depart from my game project group?

Started by
11 comments, last by EmmersionStudios 5 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I am seeking some advice on the following procedural events:

I do 3d modeling and music/sfx. In the first game project I contributed to, the concept artist wanted to leave because -- according to him -- there were irreconcilable differences with the project manager on a few matters. To me, aside from his attitude/reactionary problem he had with everyone including myself, it was obvious he was grasping for reasons to leave because he disliked not being in charge. So he left the project and started his own, and surprisingly, he asked if I'd tag along. I said sure, since I had nothing to lose.

In this new project, for the past 6 mths of it's lifespan, there has been little to no cooperation between the Artists and Modelers, plus numerous management issues by the concept artist-now-project manager. The project manager hasn't produced any concept art to help support his own project, despite his decent drawing skills. He also favors the work of this other 3D modeler whom has a nice portfolio, yet hasn't contributed a single item for the project since joining from the start. Meanwhile, I'm uploading numerous concepts, designs and music themes, and no feedback from the mgr except things like "I know you've been uploading a lot of stuff, but could you ___?".

One other dev and I have been trying to do what we can to help the project manager successfully publish his game, despite our busy schedules. And aside from the fact that the project manager dislikes me for some bizarre reason, I put personal issues aside and volunteered to help him out of selfless reasons rather than monetary. While some folks in the project expect compensation sooner or later, I certainly don’t, nor do I need it; I see my contributions as a hobby which I am putting to use whenever I have time off work.

I sometimes feel that even if I 3d modeled an exact replica of the cysteine chapel, or if I composed a musical masterpiece, it wouldn’t be as good to the project manager as a literal potato made by the other 3d modeler.

Also, this other 3d modeler has complimented my work, then has actually deleted the comment moments later. The project manager noticed everything but had no reaction.

The whole situation seems strange to me and I feel I caused most of it. At the moment I feel that my works are not really welcome in the project, and that I’m sort of wasting my time. I'm not looking for credit of my work, but I'm human and I have limits to being disregarded so much.

TL;DR: I enjoy 3d modeling & composing as a hobby, but does the project manager need to obtain assets and music from someone else, someone whose work he's interested in? Or is the project just a lost cause because of no cooperation in general?

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: I haven't abandoned the former project and am still actively contributing to it.

Advertisement
30 minutes ago, nr_clark said:

I'm uploading numerous concepts, designs and music themes, and no feedback from the mgr except things like "I know you've been uploading a lot of stuff, but could you ___?".

This is a red flag. You are not communicating with the project lead. If he is not even looking at your stuff, why would you even consider staying on the project?

31 minutes ago, nr_clark said:

The whole situation seems strange to me and I feel I caused most of it. At the moment I feel that my works are not really welcome in the project, and that I’m sort of wasting my time.

Sounds that way to me. Why do you stay?

By the way, this isn't a management question. You're asking how to act as a team member, not how to act as a team leader. Moving to another forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I can only comment based on the information you've provided above, and I'm sure there are more sides to this story than what you've posted.

That being said, if the "concept artist" now turned "project manager" wasn't able to work in a team without causing conflicts with everyone there, how is this person supposed to go out and make their own team without issues? In order to lead a team you need to have exceptional people skills and not just wanting to be the man at the helm.

Did you both bail out of the prior project together? I cannot tell because you've said he was the problem, yet it looks like when he left the other project, you tagged along ditching your prior crew, or are you still part of the other project?

If it's been over 6 months and there has been "no cooperation" between artists and modelers then wouldn't that tell you there is a problem with the project manager's ability to lead? The same applies to zero feedback, and lack of interest in your work.

Is this a paid position? (I don't consider "rev share" and "potential revenue" paid)

If this isn't a paid position, I don't know why anyone would even care to stick around... Just leave and find a team that you mesh well with. It might take several tries, but in my experience I find these "hobbyist" teams to be a disaster and avoid them like the plague now. I rarely see such projects actually complete to a publishable state and commercial worthy with inexperienced teams.

You're also going to have a very high chance of problems in any team which has a self-proclaimed leader that has little to no experience in the full life cycle of game development. I personally wouldn't even work as a paid programmer or artist for someone who was a "concept artist" and became team lead with no prior qualifications.

Being a project manager requires knowing about all aspects of game development along with leadership skills, and more... not just saying "I want to lead because I have the vision for this game.".

If it's a paid position you can continue to cash in the cheques while looking for another job, or stick around... It's up to you to make that choice.

Programmer and 3D Artist

The choice you should make is pretty obvious to me: Get out of that team. You are literally just burning your time.

Many of those hobby projects will be led by people who want to see their game realized but are not ready to contribute any work. And those projects will fail sooner or later.

There are new projects posted by startup teams here everyday. Find one that actually wants to work with you.

21 minutes ago, Rutin said:

Did you both bail out of the prior project together?

Thank you for your response and advice. I am still involved with the prior project.

24 minutes ago, LifeIsGood said:

There are new projects posted by startup teams here everyday. Find one that actually wants to work with you.

I am fairly new here and will keep on the lookout for posts. Thanks very much!

You are not compatible with this fellow nor his project.  Having worked with you before on the previous project he should have known if your style and quality of work was what he wanted.  Basically he just wanted you to tag along because you were willing to give up your free time and most likely the only one he could get hold of.

Basically, when its a hobby, the expectations of you can only be casual and the atmosphere should be fun.  If he wants professional services then he should damn well pay for them. 

I agree with the others here; do not let this person waste anymore of your time.  If he gets shirty about it then just don't reply to him and move on.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Wait a second....

a) you're not getting paid.

b) you arn't happy with your working arrangements (the reason really doesn't matter)

This sounds like a slam dunk. Why would you stay?

3 hours ago, Rutin said:

(I don't consider "rev share" and "potential revenue" paid)

No realistic person would. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

3 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Why would you even consider staying on the project?

I guess I'm just too nice to change commitments in things I dedicate myself to. That, and it was a great way to flex a hobby which I enjoy. I appreciate the directive.

13 hours ago, nr_clark said:

I guess I'm just too nice to change commitments in things I dedicate myself to. That, and it was a great way to flex a hobby which I enjoy. I appreciate the directive.

Being loyal is admirable, but there is always a limit. What you are giving to this person is beyond the point where he should be paying you.

Example; I have a friend who absolutely loves Doctor Who, and wants to make a fan-film.  I could see he was struggling with making 3D assets and so I surprised him by delivering him the Tardis.  He was delighted, yet asked if it could be changed to the mid-70s Tom Baker Tardis.  I then said to him "let me see what I can do" and spent a few more evenings on it.  The final piece wasn't 100% authenthic but his appreciation was 100%...

My "payment", like yourself, was sharpening my rusty art skills, but it came hand-in-hand with appreciation.  If one of those are missing then I start looking to get paid for wasting my time.

Anyway, Clark, you seem a nice person and I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement