People really have no ideas on game development.

Started by
92 comments, last by hplus0603 5 years, 8 months ago

I've seen all kinds of games people develop and post on app stores and indie game sites. What I noted is the lack of original ideas and innovation. Lots of games that look that they are developed by seven year olds, too many 2D side scroller mario clones, too many sonic clones, and a lot of stolen assets or plainly drawn graphics. Few games have original characters but they are also 2d side scrollers with exact mario style gameplay. For the few 3d games, most are FPS zombie shooters, also with stolen assets, many models with no animation. I see a lot of android games with the "made with unity" logo at the start. Obvious glitches and poor mechanics that the developers don't bother fixing, and a whole lot of ads.

For me I have brilliant Ideas that I have got planned for 28 games I intend to develop. Most of them will be 3D and many will be AAA kind of games. Something few developers have done on the hobbyist / indie stage.

Advertisement

You're not wrong in your first paragraph. There is a lot of crap out there.

Your second paragraph was hilarious, though. Get a few years' experience, and you'll understand why I think so.

2 minutes ago, JTippetts said:

Your second paragraph was hilarious, though. 

Really?  Can you count the proportion of AAA games or innovative games found on itch.io compared to mediocre games?

14 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Something few developers have done on the hobbyist / indie stage.

There are reasons why few indie/hobbyist developers make AAA kind of games.

They require a ton of experience and skill in a high number of areas. They require a ton of content. They require a ton of polish, tweaking and adjusting.

Essentially, they require a budget and time-scale which is not possible to achieve for indie/hobbyist developers.

Take a look at any recent-ish AAA game, and look at the credits list for amount of people working on the game. Do a quick search for how many years the game was in production for. Do the math.

If you think you can compete with AAA games on their terms, you are simply incorrect. You do not have the experience and skill in all required areas, you do not have the budget, and you do not have the time.

That isn't to say you can't make anything better than the cheap horrible games you described in the first paragraph, but you will not be making a AAA game as a hobby/indie developer. You need more realistic expectations.

Alternatively, you might be saying "oh but I didn't mean those AAA games" -- well then you're most likely not talking about actual AAA games. Just high-end indie games, which is a completely different ballpark.

Hello to all my stalkers.

5 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Can you count the proportion of AAA games or innovative games found on itch.io compared to mediocre games?

Only one out of 1 games is good. But this isn't new, it always have been like so i think. (Nothing wrong with making a Mario clone for learning, but there is something wrong with current lack of innovation.)

Exceptions are times when new tech rises (e.g. when 3D became standard), or when new genres come up. Then more games are good, inspiration and motivation are higher.

18 minutes ago, sprotz said:

For me I have brilliant Ideas that I have got planned for 28 games I intend to develop.

How do they differ from the current average?

28 is too much - i would try to combine good ideas to reduce that number.

16 minutes ago, sprotz said:

I've seen all kinds of games people develop and post on app stores and indie game sites. What I noted is the lack of original ideas and innovation. Lots of games that look that they are developed by seven year olds, too many 2D side scroller mario clones, too many sonic clones, and a lot of stolen assets or plainly drawn graphics. Few games have original characters but they are also 2d side scrollers with exact mario style gameplay. For the few 3d games, most are FPS zombie shooters, also with stolen assets, many models with no animation. I see a lot of android games with the "made with unity" logo at the start. Obvious glitches and poor mechanics that the developers don't bother fixing, and a whole lot of ads.

I mostly agree with you there

We need more variety - good variety I mean.

I'm not particularly against 2D games, but they're so predominant that it gets kind of stale ,I guess. It all depends on the execution.

17 minutes ago, sprotz said:

For me I have brilliant Ideas that I have got planned for 28 games I intend to develop. Most of them will be 3D and many will be AAA kind of games. Something few developers have done on the hobbyist / indie stage.

This on the other hand sounded much like those "seven years old" you mentioned - too arrogant and egotistical. Take a step back and, as previously stated, get some experience and you shall (hopefully) understand.

Not that you can't have excellent ideas! Just be a little more mindful of how you talk about them.

Then again, perhaps you were just being sarcastic - sometimes I fail to notice those things in the internet.

11 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Can you count the proportion of AAA games or innovative games found on itch.io compared to mediocre games?

There are no AAA games on itch.io.

AAA, by the definition accepted by the majority of game developers etc., means multi-digit-million dollar budget.

Hello to all my stalkers.

28 minutes ago, sprotz said:

For me I have brilliant Ideas ... and many will be AAA kind of games. Something few developers have done on the hobbyist / indie stage.

AAA games cost $10M+ to make, by definition. So, you've got $20M+ investment already? That means you're not at the hobbyist / indie stage any more.

By definition of AAA, I don't mean multi million dollar games but I mean high end, professional quality games that are long and complete games developed by hobbyists. I am not being sarcastic. I am saying I can develop a 3d GTA style game with 100 missions because I have all the time in the world. And I only need a small budget to do it. This game is planned by the way, it will be set in 3 cities. I know it takes a long time to develop games. It took me 4 months to develop one game and I was working round the clock.

But I have the ambition, fierce determination and the desire to develop "AAA" games with all the time I have. Should I mention details on all the other 27 planned games?

3 minutes ago, sprotz said:

I am saying I can develop a 3d GTA style game with 100 missions because I have all the time in the world.

You alone can not even create a single cut scene we see in GTA. Or do you have motion capture rig, and you're an actor and director, and you can edit all that animation, rig and model characters, etc... It's impossible for a single person.

Further, making another GTA... where's the innovation and new idea here? You want to make a GTA clone with some minor details changed? That's what everybody would like to do, it's NO new idea. Rockstar can do it better than you.

7 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Should I mention details on all the other 27 planned game?

Yep, please! GTA really is no good start :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement