People really have no ideas on game development.

Started by
92 comments, last by hplus0603 5 years, 8 months ago
11 minutes ago, sprotz said:

How enjoyable it is too play. It is about testing it on the gamer, not reading a book. For this I test it on myself. Gauge how fun it is.

I'd advise you to be careful of such approach.

Each individual has a different taste and, while there are bound to be similarities, it is always best to get as large a sample as possible when testing your ideas. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it'll be commercially viable.

Unless, of course, that is the whole point of it: to make a game you want. In this case, go for it and, if you succeed, all the better.

Note: I am not saying you should make games that you yourself would not enjoy, just to be sure others would enjoy them too.

Advertisement

@vlucki  Of course no single game out there can be enjoyable to every demographic. I may test gameplay fun on friends too to make sure that at least most will enjoy it.

1 hour ago, sprotz said:

When they developed Goldeneye N64, they lacked experienced staff but they had highly talented members

Ok, let's play:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/goldeneye-007/credits

Lots of people there had already been involved in professional game development for years, shipping multiple titles.

Work began Jan 1995, release was Aug 1997.

But sure, you can outdo all those people in making a good "AAA like game" every 2 months on average, without bugs, glitches, boring mechanics or unfun game design. No problem. Congratulations on becoming a multi-millionaire before Christmas this year!

---

Being ambitious is awesome. Having ideas as to where you can carve out your own niche is awesome. Being able to find an interesting twist or new way of looking at an idea or design, and executing on that is awesome.

Thinking you can compete against AAA games on their terms is being a blind fool. If making AAA games is your goal, either join a AAA studio or waste your time on your own getting nowhere.

---

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having ambitions and expectations set below "AAA games". In fact, it shows a understanding of reality. Figure out what you can do that will set your games apart. Hint: trying to copy AAA games and making a slight tweak to the character name or backstory isn't it.

In fact, a lot of people prefer non-AAA games. They like the wacky and inventive things indie developers can come up with. A lot of indie games have a very different approach to how they structure their content -- there is often not a lot of meaningless filler, they don't need to cater as much to mass-market audiences in the same way AAA games often do, and it's frequently a pure refreshment to play indie games. People don't play indie games to play watered-down copies of AAA games, with worse graphics, animation, sound, game design, polish, etc. They play indie games to get something they can't get from AAA games. If you want to make games on your own/as an indie developer, that's what you should have as your goal.

Hello to all my stalkers.

2 minutes ago, Lactose said:

In fact, a lot of people prefer non-AAA games. They like the wacky and inventive things indie developers can come up with. A lot of indie games have a very different approach to how they structure their content -- there is often not a lot of meaningless filler, they don't need to cater as much to mass-market audiences in the same way AAA games often do, and it's frequently a pure refreshment to play indie games. People don't play indie games to play watered-down copies of AAA games, with worse graphics, animation, sound, game design, polish, etc. They play indie games to get something they can't get from AAA games. If you want to make games on your own/as an indie developer, that's what you should have as your goal.

Seconded.

I'm often blown away by the amount of content and addictiveness of indie games. I remember when I first played Super Meat Boy, how much I was blown away that it was made by just two guys.

@Lacoste  Yes I can make a game better than Goldeneye (this game is dated), and yes, I have planned a game in this genre (agent FPS) that is going to be longer and better. More varied levels, innovative gadgets and alternative ways of taking down enemies using environment objects. I am forced to give away ideas here,  you got to have the determination and creativity.

Have you checked crimelife 2 and crimelife 3 developed by one person? Almost a professional quality game had it not been for the limitations of game maker. The same person developed Mythology, which is professional quality on par with games of 15 years ago sans the shortness.

I do not believe you will succeed, and I believe you are being blind to the realities of time, budgets and game development, and completely unwilling to see reason.

Best of luck with your goals.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Ideas are a dime a dozen though.  Everyone has ideas and many people think they are amazing ideas and even waste a lot of time protecting/hiding them.  What really makes the difference instead of just having "amazing" ideas is the execution of that idea.  If you can take your idea and fully execute it into a game... then it turns out, that idea is a valuable asset.

If you never do anything with your ideas and sit around and think about how brilliant they are, there is no value in them.

9 hours ago, sprotz said:

I made 3. I actually made two GTA style games each taking 4 months to complete, but they are quite incomplete (no missions)

1 year in total and no missions and 'quite incomplete'.

I am saying I can develop a 3d GTA style game with 100 missions because I have all the time in the world. And I only need a small budget to do it.

100 missions at 0 missions per year progress rate.

Is it just me that is dividing by zero here?

Over here you were asking people for ideas on what to make a few days ago.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/flintstones-themed-3d-gta-style-game-ideas.50677/#post-310570

Doesn't sound like AAA planning to me.

@lonewolff  This is because development stopped as soon as I realized game maker's weak 3D could not handle the technical complexities involved. Too many glitches, lags and collision problems due to game engine breaking down from overload, at a time when there was no free alternative 3D engine.

5 minutes ago, sprotz said:

@lonewolff  This is because development stopped as soon as I realized game maker's weak 3D could not handle the technical complexities involved. Too many glitches, lags and collision problems due to game engine breaking down from overload, at a time when there was no free alternative 3D engine.

What? That was 10 days ago...

There was plenty of free 3D game engines way back then.

• Unreal
  • Unity
  • Cryengine
  • Godot

Just to name a few.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement