People really have no ideas on game development.

Started by
92 comments, last by hplus0603 5 years, 8 months ago

@Lacoste  Were they working round the clock or 7 hours a day(9 to 5)? Were they not constantly prototyping, changing, and tweaking over and over? Did they create all the resources from scratch or did they salvage some content from older games? They must have also travelled collecting data, photographing scenery streets, landmarks etc. They also were searching for copyright owners of the songs to be added, scheduling sessions etc, and they must have had other projects alongside.

Advertisement

What do you say here, at this point?

Your ambitions are unrealistic. You refuse to take the vast wisdom of this forum into account, which is terribly naive. You will have to learn the hard way that your ambitions will be your downfall.

I don't know if this is too harsh to say, but everything you've written so far tells me that you're grasping at straws. You ask for advice and then tell people they're wrong. So, maybe the solution, if you think you know more, is to stop asking for advice from us mere mortals?

17 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Were they working round the clock or 7 hours a day(9 to 5)? Were they not constantly prototyping, changing, and tweaking over and over? Did they create all the resources from scratch or did they salvage some content from older games? They must have also travelled collecting data, photographing scenery streets, landmarks etc. They also were searching for copyright owners of the songs to be added, scheduling sessions etc, and they must have had other projects alongside.

No, obviously, employees for a large-scale company never work 9 to 5 jobs, only hobbyists are capable of doing that.

17 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Were they not constantly prototyping, changing, and tweaking over and over? Did they create all the resources from scratch or did they salvage some content from older games? They must have also travelled collecting data, photographing scenery streets, landmarks etc. They also were searching for copyright owners of the songs to be added, scheduling sessions etc, and they must have had other projects alongside.

That what they call Separation of Duties. While say, 250 people were doing mundean research tasks, the other 750 can still be productive.

And you are going to be prototyping, changing and tweaking as well, no?

41 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Crimelife 3, had it been made in Unity and was longer in a bigger world, would be on par with GTA 3. In fact, time is the only constraint

Unity is no quarantee for anything. Its capable, but its not gonna do the work for you. Its also a constraint in and off itself - working professionally in a company that uses Unity for > 5 years, we all agree that its both a blessing and a curse.. and will definately limit you there and again, as well as cost you time on its own; especially the more you move from "indie game" to "AAA".

7 hours ago, sprotz said:

Blender was free but I didn't realize it had a game engine.  Spending time to write an engine  in a timespan when 2 games would have been made, seemed vain.

Blender doesn't really have the best game engine imo. You dodged a bullet there.

It can take significantly longer to write your own game engine, but considering the skills and knowledge you gain from it, you will make better games. Fewer games, but better games. In this saturated market, you can afford to value quality over quantity.

View my game dev blog here!

41 minutes ago, sprotz said:

@Lacoste  Were they working round the clock or 7 hours a day(9 to 5)? Were they not constantly prototyping, changing, and tweaking over and over? Did they create all the resources from scratch or did they salvage some content from older games? They must have also travelled collecting data, photographing scenery streets, landmarks etc. They also were searching for copyright owners of the songs to be added, scheduling sessions etc, and they must have had other projects alongside.

First of all, try spelling my name correctly. It helps with getting notifications.

Secondly... actually, this is not worth it. You are beyond reasoning and help. You are clueless, and refuse to take any sort of advice or reality-check. You will not go far in your game development career, because you are sticking your head in the sand with your fingers in your ears going LALALALALA.

Edit: That said, there has been research done on the working hours as well. You might be too blind and ignorant to accept it, but working insane hours does not pay off in the end, in terms of productivity.

Hello to all my stalkers.

3 minutes ago, Lactose said:

Secondly... actually, this is not worth it. You are beyond reasoning and help. You are clueless, and refuse to take any sort of advice or reality-check. You will not go far in your game development career, because you are sticking your head in the sand with your fingers in your ears going LALALALALA.

^This

@Lactose  This is why there are few gems in the android app store and indie game sites. Because people of your calibre think that it needs a big studio to develop a decent 3d game so they don't bother and  just keep dishing out rubbish to those sites.

2 minutes ago, sprotz said:

@Lactose  This is why there are few gems in the android app store and indie game sites. Because people of your calibre think that it needs a big studio to develop a decent 3d game so they don't bother and  just keep dishing out rubbish to those sites.

So, here's the problem with what you are saying...

If you know so much and are so much better than us, why do you care what we think or what feedback/advice we can give you, especially since you clearly don't want it?

@EmmersionStudios I never claimed to know so much or be better than anyone, I was trying to make the community know that they are falling short and can do much better than they realize.

21 minutes ago, sprotz said:

Because people of your calibre think that it needs a big studio to develop a decent 3d game so they don't bother and  just keep dishing out rubbish to those sites.

People who have made the actual games you're using as a benchmark are obviously idiots, it's just pure luck they managed to get anything up and running. It's the geniuses like you that really know how things are done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Stop and think for just 2 seconds. Maybe, just maybe, the people who spent time working on this stuff know more about it than you. Maybe, just maybe, GTA V can't be made in 20 years by 1 person (or 5 years by 4 people). Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason for the development teams being as large, the time scales as long, and the budgets so astronomical.

OR maybe you know better than everyone. If so, you obviously don't need us. As I've said, congratulations on becoming a millionaire before Christmas if anything at all of what you believe in is correct. It would revolutionize a multi-billion dollar industry, shaking absolutely everything apart and changing the history books on game development forever. You'll end up being the point in time where everything changed for the better. You're actually the game development Messiah. You have come to rescue us all.

Guide us, master.

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement