People really have no ideas on game development.

Started by
92 comments, last by hplus0603 5 years, 8 months ago
1 minute ago, sprotz said:

I made 3. I actually made two GTA style games each taking 4 months to complete

Links?

Advertisement
1 minute ago, sprotz said:

each taking 4 months to complete, but they are quite incomplete (no missions)

So, 0 complete games. Correct?

Hello to all my stalkers.

2 minutes ago, Lactose said:

So, 0 complete games. Correct?

One is complete.

3 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Links?

Go to Gamejolt.com and search "tattorn football" and "3d GTA".

Just now, sprotz said:

One is complete.

Got a screenshot, movie or similar to show of it?

Hello to all my stalkers.

8 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

Not a single 'new' idea. Just variations of existing ones.

you seem to be too young / excited / naive to see it yet

You mean hybrid genres and sub-genre, but these are original ideas instead of carbon copies. I am actually a veteran programmer. I developed my first 2d games back in my teen years and they were lots of fun and exceptional to what people uploaded at the time. Later I developed some 3d games, which is like ten years back.

3 minutes ago, sprotz said:

These aren't bad, but even you must realize there fall into the same category as the games you are talking about.

Lack of originally, just a soccer and GTA clone. No original characters. The Graphics are glitchy as hell, game play also has bugs. Poor mechanics.

So you are criticizing yourself?

5 minutes ago, sprotz said:

One is complete.

https://gamejolt.com/games/gangs-of-london/1252 

Is this your game?

Untitled.png

18 minutes ago, sprotz said:

My GTA style game will not be GTA V, more like the gangstar series, far less complex  but so much fun and functional

Just to keep the perspective up, the latest gangstar game had over 100 people work on it and is probably around 100k to 300k man-hours of work. Or if you did it solo at 8 hours of work per day, 365 days a year, it might be done in 50 years. Great games take time. And time is money. If you live at home working on a project for the next 50 years, eventually you're going to have to get a job, and it's going to be hard to keep up that 8 hour unpaid game-dev schedule...

Again, don't get carried away with your plans so much. Ideas are only the starting point for a game. The crappy games that you're judging have started as an idea and then gone through the grueling process of actually being made to completion. It's easy to have good ideas if they haven't been made yet :)

Ideas don't create games, the long hard development time (which tests, breaks, deforms and rebirths ideas along the way) creates games.  You can give 10 different studios the same idea/design, but you'd get 10 different games at the end. Some might be terrible, and some might be amazing -- all from the same starting idea.

Also, many of the crappy games on the app store are deliberate "minimal quality" crap, created by sweatshops, churning out clones in as little time as possible to hopefully make 30c from the few people who download it by accident. Those ones deserve to be judged as shitty :D 

This has been the hottest topic I ever created that I find it hard to keep up.

The characters are original, they are not tommy vercetti, Carl Johnson or Niko bellic. These are old games made with game maker which you know has a primitive 3d engine. There was no easy access to Unity and such at the time.

Yikes.

Everyone was here at some point. Pie in the sky is delicious, but not nutritious.

Remove your cinematic dreams. Focus on learning what games actually are. Modern AAA developers add layers and layers of cinematics onto games to the point that many would not truly be considered games but interactive stories. At the core of a great game is great mechanics, and if your game does not have that, it's probably not a good game. Consider Octopath Traveller, which utilizes the novelty of storyteling and nostalgia but adds a new dimension (literally, as well) to game art-style as well as new gameplay mechanics in the form of the break system and narrative-wise multiple character arc story-telling. This is a good game. Monument Valley, I would argue, is better because it brought new and novel artwork and gameplay to it's medium.

Board games are a great place to start for inspiration, because they are so completely removed from the digital/video aspect of indie game development. Whittle down the background noise, the detail, the extras. Come up with ideas that conform to what you (or if in a team, your team) can do within a reasonable timeframe and can build a larger budget for your next game (easier said then done, of course).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement