• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moeen k

how firebase app indexing works?

hi. 

in firebase website its said that firebase app indexing helps program to be searched better. as i searched for unity plugin. you have to define some links on firebase panel call them as dynamic links and show them in my app. how this helps to app be searched better?

Advertisement

Hi moeen k,
it enables users of your app to be brought to the content in you app instead of your website, if you app is installed on the android device.
An additional bonus seems to be prefered results for app users. So if a user has your app installed, google assumes, that he is most likely interested in search results from you.
Additionally every user, that clicks on a result, that could also be handled by your app gets this little "install app XYZ" displayed in the search result.

See https://firebase.google.com/docs/app-indexing/

6 minutes ago, GWDev said:

Hi moeen k,
it enables users of your app to be brought to the content in you app instead of your website, if you app is installed on the android device.
An additional bonus seems to be prefered results for app users. So if a user has your app installed, google assumes, that he is most likely interested in search results from you.
Additionally every user, that clicks on a result, that could also be handled by your app gets this little "install app XYZ" displayed in the search result.

See https://firebase.google.com/docs/app-indexing/

i have read the official page but its not obvious for me nad even your answer. assume we have received some links on our app. what are those links? what is their relation with users search? is this about "our other apps" on the game that opens developer page on play store?

It's about links in google search.

Some websites also offer the "same" content in a app (often with additional features, but that is beside the point here).

If a user has the "companion app" for a website installed on the device, google/android offers to open the link in the app instead of the browser. And if a user doesn't have the app, an install card is shown (a small pop up suggesting the users installs this app).

As an example:
Let's say gamedev has a app. You can see the posts, articles etc. in this app, like in the webbrowser.
And let's say i have this gamedev.net app installed on my smartphone (android or iOS).

If I search "how firebase index works" in google, this thread is probably one of the search results.

If I click on this search result link, the device offers to open the content directly in the gamedev.net app and not in the browser.
On android you get asked if you want to open the target in the app or chrome and if your choice is for "one time only" or "always".