Looking for advice for creating a sic-fi fighting game

Started by
25 comments, last by GreyOrange223 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice for getting inspiration on cyberpunnkish 's I find characters for a fighting game I want to create, any advice would be very helpful. 

Thanks for anyone who can give advice.

Advertisement

That's a ton of metal. Never can have enough sparkling goodness. Maybe something fleshy? How about a blob. (It's a real blob when its meah can separate, rejoin and morph), movement would be procedural and reactive to the immediate scene/environment. No animating except the kill sequence. (Morph shapes) Blobs can only be defeated through containment (spell, physical object, wishful thinking). Good game puzzle maybe? I don't know, slime might not be up to the task of pulling off cyberpunk. :)

Yeah slime might be hard to fit in the cyberpunk genre  with animating cyber characters or is it? The idea still sounds nice, I'd like a character that can change shape and morph. Maybe it could work after all. But what would it's design be?

So far I got a cyber warrior monk, sentient cyber gorilla, mad scientist, cyber soldier, alien, 

I want a huge giant guy but I can't think of what design would work for that.

Any suggestions for more character ideas? Thank you!

Maybe the slime is more of an electrical ooze that comes from exposed cables. Like a sparkling white and blue blob. That's an idea. 

For the giant guy I have a celestial or Galactus type character in mind, colorful but all metal with a badass looking helmet. 

For another enemy maybe you could do something quick on all fours, like a robotic hound or something that flies like a drone. 

30 minutes ago, Applixir Kyle said:

Maybe the slime is more of an electrical ooze that comes from exposed cables. Like a sparkling white and blue blob. That's an idea. 

For the giant guy I have a celestial or Galactus type character in mind, colorful but all metal with a badass looking helmet. 

For another enemy maybe you could do something quick on all fours, like a robotic hound or something that flies like a drone. 

This works :)

Now I think I could use the slime, and the big guy sounds great and a cyber hound or even better a drone works great to thanks! 

What about for an urban street style character? I've been having problems with that one for a while 

Edit: Does no one like my idea?

I'm thinking, a younger, on the slender side but scrappy (hardened by the street) mini gangsta but sports those big cylinder shaped goggles perched on his forehead just above the brow. A tinker-er mechanic type. umm...lol...left arm mechanical. Has a backpack of load outs that change the function of the mechanical limb. Ah, and spring heels for that mega jump action.  How we doing? :)

edit: so visual appearance aside, from your current character line up, can you speak of their history. Do each have a story? or are they just fancy icons with glitter.

Great so far!

That's closer to what I wanted, thanks :) it does fit his character a lot more. I'd want him to be good at counter/blocking moves in dodging but easily takes more damage. These abilities could help with him doing that!

Now I was going to ad a dinosaur but I was told that's a little too far fetched and would take away from the gaming experience. Do you agree with that?

I'd have to ask you to define 'the gaming experience' here. We can have sci-fi punk with that screech to a halt slap stick comedy where it's okay to have a pimpin' dinosaur with bling on every claw ready to throw down. But if we're defining 'the experience' as something else then perhaps not. 

Trying to stay on topic, have you made notes on what 'experiences' you want a player to take away from playing your scifi fighter. What makes it fun. Break those into smaller pieces, then we'd be asking different questions and digging in. 

Maybe it would be out of touch with what I'm trying to create. If I'm going for variety though in a setting that isn't 100% trying to reflect what goes along the grid of reality then likely a pimpin dinosaur with bling could work. For those who enjoy a little comic relief why not I guess?

Unfortunately I'm still in the process of that, but what I would like is to give players an experience with an entire selection of sci fi characters to experience. More so just any kind of character. The more different each one is the more I feel players can enjoy. I'm still in the phase of learning mechanics and all the macro techs cause if it's not balanced enough, then regardless of how much variety it offers it'll still end up a mess.

What makes it fun? The different characters and designs to choose from. Having their own special weapons, or ammunitions, styles, and possibly transformations that set them apart, adding interactive environments is always a plus.

Hope this info helps a little. If not you can certainly tell me what I might be missing that will help focus on the core gameplay cause I'm still learning, in the early stages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement