• Advertisement
ryt

C++ A bit of a misnomer in most C++ textbooks

Posted (edited)

In almost all (read all) tutorials and books I found that when they talk about object lifetime is that they say the same thing. That is that a variable, automatic variable (declared in local scope), is created when it's definition is encountered and destroyed when its name goes out of scope. I find this to not be true. Even Stroustrup mentions this in page 167 (C++ Programming Language).

Usually this variable is allocated in a stack, called stack frame. Now, I wrote a few simple c++ code examples and opened them as MASM files. From what I know they are allocated immediately when stack frame is created, that is at some offset from base stack pointer (or whatever is called), for e.g. if we have two ints, the second one is located at [BSP-8] considering 32-bit wide ints.
This also makes sense since the space for all local variables needs to be set once, at function beginning, instead of being created each time a variable is declared. This would also slow the execution since several variables would have to created at separate times in a function which would use additional instructions.

The thing is that I don't understand why all the textbooks mention this as explained above? It used to confuse me at the beginning until I red several lower level (asm books). If I'm wrong in any way please correct me.

Edited by ryt

Advertisement

I reckon you should see this in the context of the language. For higher level languages, a LOT of lower level stuff can be going on, but in the high level language you won't be able to leverage that (well, you can in some cases, but let's keep things simple).

So the books are correct when looking at the level of the language they describe. Even if in the resulting assembly or machine code variables are created ahead of time, you cannot use them outside of your definition scope, reliably and deterministically.

Hope that helps!

A language definition doesn't describe actual implementation behavior, it describes rules that must hold for any implementation of the language.

That is, an actual implementation of the language may do anything it likes, as long as all the rules in the language are fulfilled. This opens the door to optimizing the implementation. Different compilers make different choices there, resulting in differences in performance for a single program.

If you write your program while following all the rules of the language, it will work correctly with any compiler. If you go beyond what the language rules promise, you're in "undefined behavior" land, which may or may not work, depending on what an implementation actually does.

59 minutes ago, Alberth said:

If you write your program while following all the rules of the language, it will work correctly with any compiler. If you go beyond what the language rules promise, you're in "undefined behavior" land, which may or may not work, depending on what an implementation actually does.

Exactly ... I believe with almost every C++ compiler you can call a member through null pointer, like this......

reinterpret_cast<CMyClass *>(0)->MyMemberFunction(a,b,c);

It generally works fine and even may have some use.  you can say  "if (this==0)" in your code. As long as your don't reference through your null pointer your program will happily run. In fact to make it fail the compiler would have to put in extra code, so for performance reasons they don't. I think Microsoft famously used this in some of their system code and people were screaming at them for it :D

4 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

It generally works fine and even may have some use.

Undefined behaviour may or may align with the programmer's expectations, until or except when it doesn't.

Anyway, OP's concern was that the lifetime variables declared with automatic storage duration was a misnomer because it doesn't correspond exactly  to the lifetime of the automatic storage.  His assumption was the two lifetimes should align: the only actual requirement is that the lifetime of a storage class needs to be at least as long as the variables stored therein (a variable that lasts beyond the lifetime of the free store, for example, is a memory leak).  It's not a misnomer, it's an incomplete understanding on OP's part.