• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nick5454

Creating sprite animations with tool - recommendation

Currently I use Spriter to create my animations for my 2D unity game.

Does anyone have a tool they like better? Not worried about cost under $3,000. Just want to make sure im using the best tool for the job.

Thanks,

Nick

Advertisement

There is no "best" software for anything, only different software with its own perks and faults; so with that in mind:

Photoshop: Yes, it can do everything. It has all the tools spriter has and much-much more. That is also Photoshops weakness; it has so many tools and functions that even the people who own it don't realize it can do so much. Frustrating workflow at times.

My advice is if you won Photoshop always search on the net "how to do X in Photoshop" before looking for new software.

Spoiler

-- Adobe Character Animator: This is a secondary mention. Like Adobe After Effects and Adobe Illustrator, these are just focused software. This is a focused character animator.

If you are familiar with Photoshop and have money to waste you can take a look at Adobe Character Animator; but the other tools on the list are better.

-- Adobe Animate: Same as above it is just a focused general animator. These software are more aimed at people who believe expensive software is better,

Spine: Spine is the only 2D animation software that has a unique set of tools that you can't find in just any 2D animation software. The downside to Spine is that although it is easier to understand than Photoshop, it is probably the hardest to use 2D animation software.

Spine is what I recommend.

Aseprite: Aseprite, simple and effective with both a free and paid version. Supper easy to learn. Downside, is that it was meant for more old school animation.

Aseprite is a great tool and loved by many indie developers.

3D Animation software. If you have 3D software and know how to use it for animations, then just stick with it. All the 2D animation tools are easier to use versions of 3D tools. If you are new to animations, then starting with 2D is easier.