What's the best engine to use for this sort of 2D game?

Started by
5 comments, last by EddieK 5 years, 8 months ago

My partner and I are in the midst of developing a hybrid game of sorts. The style is largely action-adventure (battling overworld monsters, collecting and using items, solving puzzles, etc.), with a bit of RPG mixed in (particularly with levelling and weapons/skills/powers that can be upgraded). There are also some visual novel-esque elements (text boxes/character illustrations with changing expressions that come up during certain conversations, CGs/cut-scenes). And lastly, there is a large emphasis on player actions/decisions affecting how the world changes throughout the game, along with attaining various possible endings.

Our goal is to release this game on Steam. Ideally, we'd like an engine that's capable of releasing builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Additionally, we'd like to be able to release patches for the game if needed. And, we want the ability to add both keyboard and joystick controls.

What do you think would be the best engine to use for something like this? We're considering adding some animation to the character illustrations and/or CGs, if that makes a difference.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated!

Side Note: We're already familiar with Unity, but we're both pretty new to the world of programming. We were hoping to discover some other engines we may not be aware of.

Advertisement

Game Maker Studio 2 would be a good option if you're not into programming yet. Otherwise you can learn C# and try Unity, but to be honest for 2D games Game Maker does just fine.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You're already familiar with Unity, so I highly recommend to keep going on with that one.

There's also another 2D game engine called Cocos Creator that is totally free. But Unity is easier to understand if you miss something because it's popular (easy to search for troubles) and well-documented.

If you're struggling with programming on the Unity (because it needs C# knowledge) then Game Maker Studio would be good choice for you but it still needs scripting language and YoYo Games developed their own scripting language which is called as a GML (Game Maker Language), you'll need to learn this and many people just saying it is very easy.

In my opinion, nobody can suggest you best engine in the world because there isn't something like that. We can only explain those engines' features, pros-cons etc.. and you should decide which one is best for you. You can take some courses and then decide which one is best for you and your needs.

I heard construct 2 is a pretty good engine for developing games. I haven't tried it myself but on their main page they say that there's no programming knowledge required. Also, you can export to multiple platforms, which is always nice. Give it at try :) 

12 minutes ago, fleabay said:

Recommendations are subjective enough on their own without the added inexperience to invalidate them even more.

Sorry for trying to help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement