Player character categories

Started by
6 comments, last by Learn2develop 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey guys and gals,

I had a game idea in the last month. And I’m planning it at the moment. (I can you say so much: Its like Overwatch meets God of war meets World of war craft.) And I also have player categories. I have defense, offense and supporter until yet. But that would be too much Overwatch-like. So, I wanna ask you what can I use as a player category else. (By the way, I plan races, too.)

Bye,

8-Bit_keyboard

Advertisement
6 hours ago, 8-bit_keyboard said:

I have defense, offense and supporter until yet. But that would be too much Overwatch-like. So, I wanna ask you what can I use as a player category else. (By the way, I plan races, too.)

Damage (Wizard), Defense (Warrior), Movement (Thief) and Support (Healer). These are the four archetypes in games. Almost every game has them and with good reason, each of these are linked to a type of stat.

Some game types have given birth to a new classes I like:

Leveling (Slime) this class usually starts with nothing and builds as it kills. Just like the slimes in common RPGs this is a weak enemy that can turn into a potential problem over time. Some games allows this class to take equipment other games actually gives it a combat skill tree to choose from, the best games in my point of view allows it to learn skills from the enemies it kills.

Constructing (Engineer) Like so many RTS games this character builds to win. Placing important structures that help the team.

Stealth (Spy) Unlike the thief, the spy often doesn't move fast or is in any way agile; instead it is born from stealth games. Moving amongst the enemies, instead of around obstacles.

Collecting (Alchemist) This is a character that fights with the level. Either constructing things with collectibles or by changing the environment itself. A class often seen in voxel games.

Camping (Teleporter) Like in Puzzle games the teleporter solves problems by moving at their own speed. Often a sniper class this character can reach places a thief can only dream of.

Minions (Summoner) A MMO like class. It tries to win by flooding the battlefield with it's minions.

@Scouting NinjaThanks. I'll think about it.

@Scouting NinjaI understood everything. But what's "Movement" exactly? Do they just move the whole game?

5 hours ago, 8-bit_keyboard said:

But what's "Movement" exactly? Do they just move the whole game?

Think about the Scout in Team Fortress or Tracer from Overwatch. These characters are faster and more agile than any of the other characters, it is a huge part of their playing style.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement