• Advertisement
Timothy Sharp

Worst time of your life as an indie

Advertisement

I think "worst" isn't really the right word for what you're going for. Work is work and sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't.

Probably a significant instance of a project not going well for me was having spent several months working solo on a game that was meant to be played online to find that I was not able to work out a solution for a lobby to connect players. Money ran out so development stopped and since then I just haven't gone back to it.

I shifted from making a game to making a tool for gaming (not an engine), so my worst moment(s) is the feelings that I've taken on more than I can chew. Many at times I feel so overwhelmed with TO DOs that i kind of shout out internally HELP!!

The other thing is getting stranded for too long with some bugs and over-running my estimated time for that section of the project. When this happens back to back (and it usually does) I get pissed.

Looking at a sea of scowling faces waiting to tell me which of their day's inconveniences are my fault while at my day job and realizing "these are the people that I'm sacrificing my free time to attempt to bring joy to." 

Worst time was getting trolled. Game dev is easy compared to firing up your computer of a morning and have Internet Explorer abuse all hell out of you.

I soon learned what accounts I had though, thanks to one troll in particular. As a result I have ditched virtually all forms of social media, very few online accounts still remain.

4 hours ago, grumpyOldDude said:

Lol  @Hodgman   I'm quietly hoping you are exaggerating X 3 over, to inject some humour. 

A deliberately dramatic reading, for effect, sure, but 100% legit. That's my worst indie dev story, as requested. Another: at a dinner party with other indie devs recently, we realised that we were all on prescriptions for anti-anxiety medications... Something about entrepreneurial risk taking personality types, maybe. 

Indie dev is a dumb thing to do. Stick to hobby dev! :D

Also, watch 'Indie game: The movie' (and the Indie game: The movie Epilogues) and try to spot which devs aren't struggling with an overload of stress and/or other kinds of mental health deterioration. 

Worst time of your (my) life as an indie game dev (full-time): When I'm out of money, the world ends.