Why do gamers often make less than the programmers have equivalent experience in other industries.

Started by
25 comments, last by frob 5 years, 7 months ago

It all comes down to money I think, which business solves the most of people's problems. That's where the money is. How hard or easy it is to build doesn't even matter.

Our field is more of entertainment. Some end-users like it, some don't. Do they require to buy it? not always. This applies to VFX studios for movies. Unlike Google, that even programmers like us now need to search for more solutions using that thing. "Google first before asking" kind of thing, right?

Now, without much money due to target market that is pretty much limited, I don't think we can be paid more than we can expect, even if the managers and/or top executives are saints.

Heck, even many of us make games using tools by the developers from Microsoft.

Advertisement

Pay is commensurate upon experience.

The more experience the more pay, the less, the less pay.

That is how it should be.

Junior people might have more ideas and enthusiasm, but sr people know what's what.

For example, at the company I'm at now, there are 3 people with the same job title, me being one of them. Given our backgrounds and how we got here,   I'm sure we are not all payed the same. We are also working for different departments. 

Just because someone loves what they do, and is willing to take a pay cut to continue to work at a job they love doesn't mean they are worth less than another person who hates what they do and is only doing it for the significant pay they are getting.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

10 minutes ago, GeneralJist said:

Just because someone loves what they do, and is willing to take a pay cut to continue to work at a job they love doesn't mean they are worth less than another person who hates what they do and is only doing it for the significant pay they are getting.

I agree!
But they will suffer. They are trying to sell nice apples on a fruit market for half the price..... The rest of sellers will just wipe them out.

In your example, if they are selling the same thing at half price, they would make more because they will sell more. 

Life is suffering for what you love. 

Look, do I, and most of us here wish games jobs payed more and were more stable?

Probably yes. 

But life isn't fair and often people need to make hard decisions to get what they want. 

Business is about making money, and saving money where you can. Lower wages are a cost saving measure. 

I've heard of countless cost saving measures in the games industry that involve HR violations. 

People will suffer, but that is just the state of the industry. 

People put up with those violations because they love what they do. And businesses are set up to take advantage of that situation. 

A majority of employment law is to benefit the employer, not the employee. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

6 minutes ago, GeneralJist said:

But life isn't fair and often people need to make hard decisions to get what they want. 

Undoubtedly!

If i had a starving family, i would sweep toilets with my drawings in order to bring food home. Fortunately i am a MGTOW.

Pay is what you negotiate. There are some industries and companies where unions and other collective agreements are in place, in which case pay is what they negotiate.

There are many people who are great negotiators in other areas of life who never negotiate their own salary or negotiate it poorly. Many people receive an offer for a job and never make counter-offers, never push for higher salaries, or they never ask for better benefits. (Hint: Always ask for multiple items, even if they can't directly pay more they may be able to give a one-time signing bonus, or stock/equity options, etc.) Companies may balk at long-term payouts but may easily throw in an extra $5K or $8K one-time payment.

Those who are skilled at negotiation and have the ability to negotiate with companies, such as looking for a job while still employed rather than when unemployed, are able to negotiate far better wages than those who don't or can't.

Invest in your negotiating skills. That can be small investments through reading, or bigger investments through training. It is worth it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement