Developer blog/CM

Started by
3 comments, last by jbadams 5 years, 7 months ago

Hello.

As I'm continuing to work on my project, we have a first public "official" apparition on the 11th november at Minsk DevGam. I would like to catch some first possible fans, and keep the traffic somewhere before the release, early access or a possible crowdfunding.

As we're a small team (5), we don't have any web designer, neither community manager, I think we'll opt for the minimum: A developer blog (+copy of it on social networks) and a newsletter. I read the pixelprospector guide on devs blogs, however some points are still shady to me:

-Which blog software would you use for optimum result, with a minimum time investement

-How detailed is the information I should put on the blog. I've thought about some background overall articles (main plot and characters), some game design articles to explain the choices beneath each mechanic, obviously concept/promo/ingame art, and some themed article to present each faction, most of the enemies, etc, but leaving a bunch of things in the shadow for the release.

Subsequential questions are:

-Should I put more (all) the information on the blog, like an user friendly gamedocument?

-Would game design articles be too specialized and not interesting for most of visitors? I though about borrowing the form of the developer diaries, on the Paradox website, that I love to read.

Advertisement

I'm obviously biased, but I would recommend bloggingblogging right here at GameDev.net right here at GameDev.net.  It's free to use, doesn't require any external hosting or setup, and is pretty easy to use. There's a built-in audience of fellow developers happy to give feedback on your work, and entries are shared via our social accounts.  It also integrates with our relatively new Projects showcase if you want to list your game there.

If you'd prefer an external self-hosted blog I would recommend WordPress.  The software itself is free and relatively easy to use, and can be run on relatively cheap hosting depending on your traffic. Many popular hosts have it pre-installed or offer 1-click install. There are loads of themes to change the look and feel, and heaps of tutorials to help you with just about anything you need to do. If you choose this option you could still set up a Gamedev.net blog and have it auto-import the entries from WordPress.

Content depends on your goals, target audience, and personal preference.  Game design articles will be of interest to fellow developers, but may not attract many non-developers as potential players.   A lot of developers strike a mix between that sort of stuff and development updates and "behind the scenes" info that may be of interest to players.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for the answer! I think we may use it, the only thing that I dislike, is the very long address (not very practical, as we plan to put on visit cards/trailer and such)

You could always purchase a url (web address) and point it to the page, the cost is relatively low and there are loads of tutorials out there on how to set it up.

If you want something free, you could use a link shortening service like bitly, but it would look a bit less professional.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement