F-71 Talon: A Sci-Fi Stealth Fighter (WIP)(Feedback Appreciated!)

Started by
34 comments, last by 1024 5 years, 7 months ago

Some more updates!

september1DirtyTest2.thumb.jpg.21ac1dcb503e2704439cc58ce9870133.jpg

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement
9 hours ago, Prinz Eugn said:

Your panel lines look a little haphazard to me, you should take a look at some more real-world examples or even concept art. They usually are where parts connect, so having them floating in the middle looks kind of off. For example, check out the major panels on an F-22:

This is a good point that I hadnt noticed, but you're 100% correct.  These lines on aircraft are almost always there where different sections intersect or where moving surfaces join. 

HA1325-A10C-917th-FG-rt-az_1024x1024.jpg

Right now it looks like they're just there as decorations, or at least I cant see any reason for them.  Of course sometimes you have lines on aircraft that are there for other reasons... such as camouflage or to confuse the enemy...

1034194517.jpg

Right, so I'm still having a bit of a tough time with panel lines @0r0d and @Prinz Eugn. I'm not really super sure how many there should be. Here's an updated render:

september3render.thumb.jpg.5eacde3e658eaa0c5c77c5537e6abd51.jpg

Just a funny thing to note, I realized I was making a mistake in the nodes for Substance in Arnold, leading to a slightly off color texture, so I've fixed that now for all of the texture nodes!

This may be what I settle on. Newest updates:
september4render.thumb.jpg.7c4bf266e1aa25cfa6e2cbc334202512.jpgseptember4render2.thumb.jpg.27336641788ac609845b655c9b8e8df0.jpgseptember4render3.thumb.jpg.ebf375e0e4e8550bf42d608705debf1d.jpgseptember4render4.thumb.jpg.4d76999b9f8c07dbad47002917431ec0.jpgseptember4render5.thumb.jpg.2bead6d5000413bdee552ddd36d11bf4.jpg

The changes to the nose definitely seemed to have helped I think. The tail looks less goofy now as well. Thoughts?

5 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

The changes to the nose definitely seemed to have helped I think.

Loks like plane have to be completely redesigned to look futuristic. On current design it will have low (undersonic) speed, fair maneurability, weak armament and huge radio and IR image. If you want something that look really futuristic, try to make a short forward sweept wings like on X-29 or Su-47, controlled thrust vector exhaust and air intake that hide a rotor blades (it have huge radioimage). Also avoid a round/curved shape surfaces. It reflect radiowaves in all directions, while stealth thechnology based on reflection of incoming waves that avoid bacward direction of incoming radar impulse. For its purposes fuselage and wings have as much as possible parallel flat surfaces . 

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

20 hours ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

Loks like plane have to be completely redesigned to look futuristic. On current design it will have low (undersonic) speed, fair maneurability, weak armament and huge radio and IR image. If you want something that look really futuristic, try to make a short forward sweept wings like on X-29 or Su-47, controlled thrust vector exhaust and air intake that hide a rotor blades (it have huge radioimage). Also avoid a round/curved shape surfaces. It reflect radiowaves in all directions, while stealth thechnology based on reflection of incoming waves that avoid bacward direction of incoming radar impulse. For its purposes fuselage and wings have as much as possible parallel flat surfaces . 

I'm going for a fairly retro design in some ways. As others have mentioned, it's based heavily off of the Ho-229. 

But thanks for your feedback! I will certainly look into making changes!

Love the texture you have used for the overall plane, I'm unsure about the black texture for the flaps the rest look ok to me. I think someone said earlier about the wings being to big? I have to agree with them, plane looks like more of a bomber than a fighter.

How ever you have still done a great job :)

The black areas still need to go.  For one thing, real world surfaces are not black and unreflective like that.  The nose cone is much better now because it actually has a texture and looks similar to real-world aircraft nose cones.

Also, the flat parts in the front of the engine intakes looks wrong.  It needs to look rounded and aerodynamic like the rest of the plane.  

On 9/7/2018 at 1:31 PM, Glenos said:

Love the texture you have used for the overall plane, I'm unsure about the black texture for the flaps the rest look ok to me. I think someone said earlier about the wings being to big? I have to agree with them, plane looks like more of a bomber than a fighter.

How ever you have still done a great job :)

Hmm yea, I'm not sure if I should shorten the wings or not. I'm in two minds on this, since on the one hand, the Ho-229, has a large wingspan, but on the other hand, fighters aren't really like that.

On 9/7/2018 at 4:30 PM, 0r0d said:

The black areas still need to go.  For one thing, real world surfaces are not black and unreflective like that.  The nose cone is much better now because it actually has a texture and looks similar to real-world aircraft nose cones.

Also, the flat parts in the front of the engine intakes looks wrong.  It needs to look rounded and aerodynamic like the rest of the plane.  

Right so as per both @Glenos and your points, I've made those changes and were are the results:

september8render.thumb.jpg.7ef60116d91267a039bb23b63247bb81.jpg

Just wanted to drop in and say I think it's looking great!

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement