how does one typically model an anime character?

Started by
7 comments, last by Kryzon 5 years, 7 months ago

its like the eyes don't fit unless you squeeze then into a oval shape

any tips even not related to the eye would be helpful specially in relation to anime anatomy and proportions

Advertisement

Can you draw your anime character with pencil and paper, without technical complications?

• If you fail, or if it looks bad, you need more experimentation (or the help of a better manga artist) to obtain a better and/or more defined character design before attempting a computer version.
  • If you can draw your character, you can use your drawings as reference material.

Please explain your workflow (2D painting with a tablet? 2D painting with vector shapes? 3D model from scratch? Adapting a 3D model? Something more complex?) and what your eyes don't fit with.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

8 hours ago, LorenzoGatti said:

Can you draw your anime character with pencil and paper, without technical complications?

• If you fail, or if it looks bad, you need more experimentation (or the help of a better manga artist) to obtain a better and/or more defined character design before attempting a computer version.
  • If you can draw your character, you can use your drawings as reference material.

Please explain your workflow (2D painting with a tablet? 2D painting with vector shapes? 3D model from scratch? Adapting a 3D model? Something more complex?) and what your eyes don't fit with.

sorry for taking so long to reply i couldn't enter the site for whatever reason

i was actually trying to model a specific character from a manga but i have the impression anime ways aren't modeled like regular eyes considering how flat they are when you look form the sides

8279b2ce8eee48c2b611cb0a5fef5f6b--drawin

for this curvature the eye would have to be ridiculously big or oval which is why i believe its done using something like a lattice deformer

i'm not sure how to so that for a game character though maybe animating the texture?

Have you scene this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CTfis1TEg

10 hours ago, ObjectivityGuy said:

its like the eyes don't fit unless you squeeze then into a oval shape

That is correct, remember that the proportions are tweaked to match the style. Anime characters have larger eye sockets, like they have been stretched, if you just made the human eye bigger it would also effect the skull at the back, and we don't want that.

The anime eye is stretched up:

AnimeEyes.jpg.2d738634de54dd1bef81e3a1adbb8b7c.jpg

Remember to try and keep the volume when stretching. If you plan to use it in a game, it is often better to have the shape, but to use a texture for the pupil, that you slide with a UV map.

One of biggest problems with anime 3D characters is that people who draw anime, only need to make it look correct from one side. So a lot of the proportions don't work when taken to 3D.

To counter this you should make simple primitives of the human head. Kind a like this:

Heads2%20Blog.jpg

But with 3D instead of drawing. Then you can place it under your Anime head and correct for 3D where the 2D drawing doesn't.

Have you seen the work by Nsio:

nsio_explains__facial_proportions_by_nsio-d6ndzxw.png

nsio_explains__simplifying_the_complexit

These tutorials approach character modeling from the other side, that is from proportions towards shape and form like most 2D artist use, instead of how 3D modelers start from shape and form towards proportions. They are great for learning how to turn anime characters into 3D.

https://www.deviantart.com/nsio/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

You don't need to learn how to draw a character. However once you can model one, you will find it very easy to draw one, because you need to understand the same concepts.

It is impossible to repeat a female anime character in 3D.
This is the good thing of anime(animation) - it is not real.
impossible deformation

You can see many advanced examples of anime in 3D at the gallery in the site of Daz. They just don't look well.
You can see low polygon poorer examples of anime in 3D searching for xnalara anime models in google.

Or you can reduce the anime factor/index of the character like that:
not so big eyes

In my own opinion, even Hollywood failed at making a 3D anime character for the movie Alita.

For another source of inspiration, you can search for images of anime figures in google too.

originally i was trying to model jee han form the gamer but the drawings aren't exactly very consistent so it kinda of hard

what is xnalara?

Can i give you an advice?

Don't sacrifice your time being a fan. For the same amount of time you try to copy the mediocre character of another person, you could create your OC yourself. I opened few pages of The Gamer, hmm in my opinion the artwork is so poor it could be a scam(the artist doesn't give a sh*t about the reader, as to put some more effort into the drawings).

Don't sacrifice your time for somebody who hasn't sacrificed his own time for the fans.

Making 3D anime models brings problems similar to that of anime figurine sculptors: how to turn something from 2D, full of cheats, to 3D.

So anime figurines would be the first place where I'd look, see how they solved the 3D problem. Example: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/79764

You can also find plenty of other reference on the web. Translate "3D anime wireframe topology" to Japanese and google that phrase to find great stuff, like "concave vs convex eyes" studies etc:

lTl620Ju_o.png

res1dVcA_o.jpeg

There's some stuff in SketchFab too, which is special because you can go in and watch it live, spin the model around and inspect the wireframes: 

So that's tons of reference. You can make up your own mind on what you think looks better or more faithful to the source material.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement